What’s wrong with their eyes?

Also, I have just started letting a hen hatch out some eggs, will this be a problem? The eggs are on day 10, so I will likely have everyone fully treated by the time they hatch. But will the chicks contract coccidiosis from just being around everything the sick chickens were around, or will they build a very strong immunity to coccidiosis?

Feed the new chicks with medicated chick crumbs.

@Wyorp Rock, is Tucker Milling a bad brand? I was just thinking about it, and I’ve never had a chickens get sick within months of each other… What brand do you use? I want to get something healthy for a mixed flock of chicks, pullets, cockerels, hens, and roosters. I’ve been considering Kalmbach, because it seems like $20 for a 50 lbs. bag is a very good price. As long as it will keep my chickens healthy, that is.
No, I don't think Tucker Milling is a bad brand. I use TM Gamebird feed for my Quail and currently use the Flock 22 for my adult chickens. The Flock 22 is a pellet so it would be hard for small chicks to eat.
For tiny chicks within a mixed flock of adults, I'd feed either a chick starter or an All Flock feed to everyone. Just provide oyster shell free choice, the hens will take what they need.
Purina has an All Flock that I have used off and on for years, it seemed to be o.k., but my TSC went way up on $$$ and the feed they were getting in wasn't very fresh. So...I switched to a local Mom/Pop feed store which carries different brands like Tucker Milling, Blue Seal, etc. Never used Kalmbach, but it's not something I can get here "local" but I've seen quite a few posts mentioning it and people seemed satisfied with it.

As for chicks and Coccidiosis. Some do feed a medicated starter and if you feel you may have problems then it may be something you need to feed - do keep in mind the amount of Amprolium in the feed is minute, so it will not treat Coccidiosis. Chicks need exposure to poop and soil in which they will live to help build resistance.
So, basically, keep some Corid on hand.

No, I don't think Tucker Milling is a bad brand. I use TM Gamebird feed for my Quail and currently use the Flock 22 for my adult chickens. The Flock 22 is a pellet so it would be hard for small chicks to eat.
For tiny chicks within a mixed flock of adults, I'd feed either a chick starter or an All Flock feed to everyone. Just provide oyster shell free choice, the hens will take what they need.
Purina has an All Flock that I have used off and on for years, it seemed to be o.k., but my TSC went way up on $$$ and the feed they were getting in wasn't very fresh. So...I switched to a local Mom/Pop feed store which carries different brands like Tucker Milling, Blue Seal, etc. Never used Kalmbach, but it's not something I can get here "local" but I've seen quite a few posts mentioning it and people seemed satisfied with it.

As for chicks and Coccidiosis. Some do feed a medicated starter and if you feel you may have problems then it may be something you need to feed - do keep in mind the amount of Amprolium in the feed is minute, so it will not treat Coccidiosis. Chicks need exposure to poop and soil in which they will live to help build resistance.
So, basically, keep some Corid on hand.
Thank you! I definitely intend to switch to medicated chick feed as soon as the chicks hatch. I’m very relieved to know that this bout of coccidiosis * probably * won’t affect the chicks negatively. I have been getting feed from a local store as well, since TSC got so expensive! Though, I am quite thankful they sell Corid. ;)

Thank you! I’m definitely going to switch over when the chicks hatch. Also, the broody hen you have in your pfp is quite pretty; is she a partridge silkie?

I think it's the easiest way to prevent coccidiosis in babies and get them past that danger zone.

Yes she is a partridge silkie bantam. She raised many broods for me and sadly died a few months ago. She was a good age, but I was pretty sad.

I’m sorry for your loss :) :hugs. At least you have her chicks though!!
Ah thank you. She never actually hatched any of her own eggs, funnily enough! Just pure chance that it happened that way, but I have so many photos of her being a excellent surrogate Mama. She was perfect and would mother those babies til they were 4 or 5 months old!

Attachments

• 20210625_105543.jpg
    20210625_105543.jpg
    638.9 KB · Views: 4
@Wyorp Rock, when I posted this I believed my Ameraucana had coccidiosis. Since then she died, her brother died of very likely the same thing, and now my tiny Serama died from what looks to be the same thing. When I posted this it seemed like you thought she (the first Ameraucana) had something other than cocci, what did you think she had? I’ve begun to wonder the Ameraucanas had mycoplasma and that it may have spread to my serama. I’ve also been considering culling my flock because of all this, so before I actually do that (or before I stress myself out too much) what do you think has been going on?
Also, an added “symptom” of my Serama was that she was gasping the day and night before her death. I could also hear a clicking sound when she breathed. Any thoughts? :)

Back
Top Bottom