What’s wrong with their eyes?

Ch1cken Tender

Songster
Jul 22, 2023
221A Baker Street 😉
Today, while I was visiting my pullet who (I believe) has Coccidiosis, I discovered my bantam hen has a small scab(?) next to her eye. My Coccidiosis pullet also has a similar, smaller scab next to her eye. Is this fowl pox or something else? Also, could this be infectious? I have both of the girls in the same "quarantine area", and I want to make sure if this is necessary or not. ‘Cause Minnie (the D’Uccle) is not happy about the separation from the flock. 😊

Attachments

• IMG_6102.jpeg
    IMG_6102.jpeg
    213.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_6100.jpeg
    IMG_6100.jpeg
    311.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6104.jpeg
    IMG_6104.jpeg
    258.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_6103.jpeg
    IMG_6103.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_6106.jpeg
    IMG_6106.jpeg
    261 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_6113.jpeg
    IMG_6113.jpeg
    284 KB · Views: 24
First... It is extremely stressful to the birds to remove them from the flock. The only reason to remove a bird from the flock is if the others are beating it up.

I would put both of the birds back with the flock immediately. If they are indeed sick with something, it will not matter if you separate them because it means the other birds have already been exposed to whatever sickness they have.

It does not appear that they have fowl pox. It looks more like the one bird got pecked or injured.

Usually if you are having to treat for coccidiosis...you really need to treat the entire flock at the same time. What makes you think that only one bird has coccidiosis?

First... It is extremely stressful to the birds to remove them from the flock. The only reason to remove a bird from the flock is if the others are beating it up.

I would put both of the birds back with the flock immediately. If they are indeed sick with something, it will not matter if you separate them because it means the other birds have already been exposed to whatever sickness they have.

It does not appear that they have fowl pox. It looks more like the one bird got pecked or injured.

Usually if you are having to treat for coccidiosis...you really need to treat the entire flock at the same time. What makes you think that only one bird has coccidiosis?
Actually, I am treating everyone. The noticeably sicker pullet is getting a full (severe) dose, while the rest of the flock is getting the preventative dose. I separated the one lethargic hen from the rest of the the flock for safety, and I just separated the D’Uccle in case she and the Ameraucana had had something seriously infectious. We had a coccidiosis issue back in July, and when we separated a particularly affected hen for a few days it seemed to help significantly. In any case, thank you very much for the reply! It’s relieving to know this may just be a pecking scab. 😅

Today, while I was visiting my pullet who (I believe) has Coccidiosis, I discovered my bantam hen has a small scab(?) next to her eye. My Coccidiosis pullet also has a similar, smaller scab next to her eye. Is this fowl pox or something else? Also, could this be infectious? I have both of the girls in the same "quarantine area", and I want to make sure if this is necessary or not. ‘Cause Minnie (the D’Uccle) is not happy about the separation from the flock. 😊

Actually, I am treating everyone. The noticeably sicker pullet is getting a full (severe) dose, while the rest of the flock is getting the preventative dose. I separated the one lethargic hen from the rest of the the flock for safety, and I just separated the D’Uccle in case she and the Ameraucana had had something seriously infectious. We had a coccidiosis issue back in July, and when we separated a particularly affected hen for a few days it seemed to help significantly. In any case, thank you very much for the reply! It’s relieving to know this may just be a pecking scab. 😅
Photos of the poop?
What symptoms does she have that makes you think she has Coccidiosis?

Here's the Corid dosing you should be using for ALL of your birds if you suspect Coccidiosis.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

For the eyes, flush with saline, remove any gunk, dirt, debris, pus, then put an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye. Do this a couple of times a day for a week, see if she improves.

Photos of the poop?
What symptoms does she have that makes you think she has Coccidiosis?

Here's the Corid dosing you should be using for ALL of your birds if you suspect Coccidiosis.
Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

For the eyes, flush with saline, remove any gunk, dirt, debris, pus, then put an eye ointment like Terramycin in the eye. Do this a couple of times a day for a week, see if she improves.
Her poop is very watery with a yellow-ish white “center”. She has her head and tail down, she’s very lethargic, she weighs a good bit less than her sister who is at the same age, and these symptoms are exactly like my (formerly) 4 month old hen who had coccidiosis in July; who recovered in about week of treatment. (Complete with follow up treatment.) Thank you for the reply!!

Her poop is very watery with a yellow-ish white “center”. She has her head and tail down, she’s very lethargic, she weighs a good bit less than her sister who is at the same age, and these symptoms are exactly like my (formerly) 4 month old hen who had coccidiosis in July; who recovered in about week of treatment. (Complete with follow up treatment.) Thank you for the reply!!
What do you feed?

Has she started laying eggs yet?

At 4 months old, unless she's on new ground, she should really have built resistance to the Coccidia that is found in the environment. Getting a fecal float to see if you are dealing with Coccidiosis and/or worms would be a good idea. At least if you rule those in/out, then you have a good starting point to know what to treat.

What do you feed?

Has she started laying eggs yet?

At 4 months old, unless she's on new ground, she should really have built resistance to the Coccidia that is found in the environment. Getting a fecal float to see if you are dealing with Coccidiosis and/or worms would be a good idea. At least if you rule those in/out, then you have a good starting point to know what to treat.
I feed all my chickens Tucker Milling layer crumbles. The 4 month old (her name is Nutmeg) was sick in July, now she has fully recovered after treatment with Corid for approximately a week during July. She has started laying eggs since then. We got her from TSC which doesn’t vaccinate their chicks for Mareks, and I would assume they don’t vaccinate for coccidiosis (probably why she got coccidiosis even though she’s was a bit older). When I was talking about a pullet I’m treating, I was referring to a 2 month old (her name is Silver) I have. Silver is showing the same symptoms as Nutmeg, when Nutmeg had coccidiosis. Anyway, everyone is being treated for coccidiosis. I was simply wondering if there is anything seriously wrong with their eyes. Is there anything I should do for their eyes? Thank you so much for replying to me. I appreciate the in-depth questions. :)

@Wyorp Rock, is Tucker Milling a bad brand? I was just thinking about it, and I’ve never had a chickens get sick within months of each other… What brand do you use? I want to get something healthy for a mixed flock of chicks, pullets, cockerels, hens, and roosters. I’ve been considering Kalmbach, because it seems like $20 for a 50 lbs. bag is a very good price. As long as it will keep my chickens healthy, that is.

Also, I have just started letting a hen hatch out some eggs, will this be a problem? The eggs are on day 10, so I will likely have everyone fully treated by the time they hatch. But will the chicks contract coccidiosis from just being around everything the sick chickens were around, or will they build a very strong immunity to coccidiosis?

Back
Top Bottom