What’s Your Rating of Meyer Hatchery?

Thoughts on Meyer hatchery

• Total voters
Keep in mind too that the amount of time it takes for you chicks to arrive at your house depends, in part, in the route your mail takes to get to you. My mail goes to a post office less than an hour away, but by the time it gets there, the truck to my post office has already left. That means they spend another night in transit.

On my last order, I called the post office when I saw how close they were and arranged to pick them up at the other post office, rather than waiting until the next day.

I've ordered twice from Meyer, and while I haven't ordered any D’uccle (so I can't comment on them specifically), I can say that the chicks I received arrived heathy and all have been sexed correctly.

I live in MN and both times I ordered from Meyer (Ohio I believe) I received mine on Wednesday. For some reason they keep them in Cleaveland for a whole day but my post office is really good about calling me at 7 am as soon as they get them from the airport post. I've also ordered from My Pet Chicken (which also says Ohio) and received them the next day so maybe it depends on what time it leaves the hatchery too. Unfortunately my Mille Fleur d'Uccle bantam chicks passed both times I ordered them (2 from the first order and 1 from the second). I now only have the 1 left but it's only 5 days old so hope it'll survive, the Mottled Cochin from the first order is doing great. And they replaced one of my dead ones with a Black Frizzle so hope he does well too.

My shipping route is TERRIBLE! :barnie

Two (bantam) orders from My Pet Chicken... total flops. :(

Meyer's arrived with well over half surviving. Half survival seems to be about the best I can get even from breeders. :hmm

The whole overnight thing in Cleveland... If they ship express it gets handed off to FED ex and goes on their planes... but if they are shipping dry ice that day... they bump chicks to the next day and they get handed back off to USPS at their destination airport. If sent standard priority, They stay on a truck instead of the plane. Ridiculously enough... I will choose standard priority OVER express EVERY time... as they ALWAYS miss the hand off to the truck heading my way in SF... verses staying with USPS the whole time.

No, quality wasn't perfect... but neither is what I hatch myself, even though I cull for all faults. I would totally consider ordering from Meyer's again!

The only hatchery I know of that sexes bantams in My Pet Chicken. But I don't feel as though their chicks can survive my shipping route. They were much more star gazing and such. But I guess my own understanding and practice has come a long way since my first shipment...

Have a warm place set up... crush the crumble a little extra.. make sure ya got vitamins and electrolytes in the water for the first few days. (I prefer poultry nutri drench because it has amino acids)

Make contact with the post office and request a call upon arrival. They usually call me around 6:30 am to pick up in the back.

USPS tracking very often isn't updated on a timely fashion... so don't count on that.

:fl:jumpy:jumpy

ETA: Meyer's did include a heat pack in mine as well that I didn't pay extra for. I expected one from MPC, but they didn't.

Iv'e used them once, this July as a matter of fact. From Ohio to South Carolina it took 1 day. They shipped on Monday I had them on Tuesday. I changed my order once since they had a faverolle become availible and they were very nice, spent 40 mins just talking. I ordered 4 chicks and all 4 arrived perky. Nobody has died almost a month now and everybody is sexed right. They're very nice chicks, don't mind handling nobody is super funny looking....well the faverolle is a little off but she's coming along she is just quite large and slow to feather." Had about two days of pasty butt with the buff brahma but that isn't a big deal. I'd use them again in a heartbeat.:)

The only hatchery I know of that sexes bantams in My Pet Chicken.
MPC is not a hatchery but a "middleman".

I've ordered from Meyer 3 times. 7 chicks both June 2015 and April 2017. 6 chicks this past April. All arrived healthy, heat pack included, not something I paid for.

2015s shipped Mon arrived Thurs, I was sweating that one. Yes, spent the night in Cleveland, called from PO early Thurs and I picked them up when the office opened the doors for the PO box holders. They are quite happy to get rid of the little peepers. The 2017's shipped Mon arrived Tues. PO drove them directly to the house from the facility where I GUESS the air shipments are delivered to. Must have arrived too late to get them to the sorting facility and then to our PO. They got to the house around 12:30. The 2017s shipped Monday, arrived Wed, I picked up at the PO.

One accidental cockerel in 2017, they refunded the purchase price which was not insignificant, it was a Barnvelder, nearly $13.

The least expensive hatchery (free shipping) and also the one that had all the breeds I wanted in stock was Welp. No other hatchery had them in stock. My chicks arrived healthy and are still going strong ending day two.

Interesting that they charge more for sexed egg breed cockerels than for pullets. Most hatcheries are the other way around. They call their EEs "Ameraucana", a lie I find most annoying. But their price on Barnevelders is much lower than Meyer's price. Lacking a lot of pictures. I really like Meyer's website, well done real pictures, very good description of the breeds.

The least expensive hatchery (free shipping) and also the one that had all the breeds I wanted in stock was Welp. No other hatchery had them in stock. My chicks arrived healthy and are still going strong ending day two.
Who ships free? I've paid $36.95 for MPC and $35 for Meyers. Eggs ship free but the price paid ($60+) for 6 eggs and only 2 grew currently in lock down to hatch.

Who ships free? I've paid $36.95 for MPC and $35 for Meyers. Eggs ship free but the price paid ($60+) for 6 eggs and only 2 grew currently in lock down to hatch.
Welp hatchery ships free. I didn't get eggs, I got chicks, but they all arrived healthy and active. So far so good.

Welp hatchery ships free. I didn't get eggs, I got chicks, but they all arrived healthy and active. So far so good.
Thanks, I'll check them out! My Mille Fleur (4 so far) from Meyers keep dying so I want to replace them but 3 different shipments and 2 dead on arrival scares me (Meyers also take til Wed to get to me so I don't know if that's the issue. The other chicks are fine.

Back
Top Bottom