What a great, inexpensive hobby

KDailey

Crazy Cochin Lady
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
Bronson, Tx
I am so glad I've gotten into the chicken thing.
big_smile.png

I've always loved animals, every shape, size and color. Horses and dogs were always my favorite and ever since I was little I've always wanted to breed/raise/train my own horses. Now that I'm out on my own and have a few horses of my own and a couple dogs I'm thinkin there's no way I could ever breed and raise horses as a business for a profit. It takes a very long time to get established, we'd need new fences and big barns. I'd need a lot more training than I've had and a bunch of other things. As much as I hate to say it, unless you've grown up in a family that is in the business and has money, there's not much room in the economy for "another horse trainer." I couldn't compete.

My passion has always been animals and raising them, breeding them, selling them, etc but horses are just too much of an expense to do on a large scale and really there are already too many dogs in this world that are uncared for, I don't need to bring in more.

So now it comes to the chicken thing. What better animal could there be for someone that doesn't have a huge amount of money and/or space?

*Dear boyfriend has built me a great coop and run from pine logs he sawed himself so it's very cheap aside from hardware cloth and nails/screws/hinges.
*You feed the chicken, the chicken feeds you.
*Sell the eggs for eating or sell them as hatching eggs if you have a rooster. If you sell puppies or young horses you've got time and money in them before they can go to their new homes. Eggs just sit there no charge. The buyer pays for shipping. 100% profit on eggs.
*How many other animals only need a minimum of 15 square feet of space? That means I can have how many chickens on 100 acres??
celebrate.gif

*If you have a mean chicken/rooster.....eat it! Can't do that with a horse or dog. They have to be rehomed and then what do you do if nobody else wants them?
*Can't afford to feed the chickens anymore....eat it! Can't do that either with horses and dogs.

Have I left off anything?
clap.gif

But! How can you stand the wait?! My chicks range in age from 3 weeks to 6-7 weeks old. I don't get eggs yet and nobody's old/big enough to eat yet. I don't have an incubator or broody hen yet so I can't buy eggs to hatch, it's too hot to ship chicks.
barnie.gif

I guess I'll have to just suffer until that first egg arrives

I was the same way. I loved calves and they were my all, and then I bought a couple of hens. I love that you can buy hens for cheap unlike other livestock animals.
I JUST LOVE MY CHICKENS!!!
love.gif

Silkies are supposed to be very friendly. Why don't you spend time getting to know them, holding them and getting them used to you as "Mom"? Chickens are wonderfully entertaining to just watch as they run from place to place, scratch around looking for goodies or compete with one another for some special yummy. You are going to have a great time with your flock! Congratulations!!

Quote:
Was this meant to be in the thread about silkies having a bad rep? Because I already love my little silkies. I think their great. lol

Quote:
That's my story. I have a bachelor's in Equine Studies, have the training, etc, but no money to make it happen. I love the babies, but no good breeders around here to work for. I'm married now with a young son and priorities have changed. Like they say, "the only way to make a small fortune in horses is to start with a large one."

I can't wait to start building my coop and get chickens
smile.png

I'm still trying to get past the title of this thread --- INEXPENSIVE ... Bwa ha ha ha ha ha ....
gig.gif
lau.gif
gig.gif
D.gif
hide.gif

Well for me it has been inexpensive when I compare to my other hobby: horses

Now that is expensive! Here is a little summary:
Trimming feet: $200 every 6 weeks ($1600 year)
Need new trailer: $6000
Playday entry fees: $100/playday x 10 playdays a year = $1000
My new saddle: $700
Need new saddle for BF: $500 (approx.)
Feed: $300/month x 12 months = $3600

That means about $13,400 a year without including the little things like wormer, random vet bills and shots, and gas money/travel time/wear and tear on truck, etc.

Now my chicken coop that cost me probably $200 total and my $64 chickens and $10 bag of feed every 2 weeks(ish) seem like pocket change! It may change over time as I get more chickens but unless I go build a huge barn specifically for over 100 chickens or something like that it will still be way less expensive than horses.

That makes:

Horses- $13,400
Chickens- $274

Chickens are definately inexpensive!

Last edited:
My chickens sure aren't cheap. I guess it depends on how you treat them. Mine are pets, and they deserve (and get) the same level of care and concern as my dogs, cats, and horses. But their vet is MUCH more expensive, LOL!

So not cheap for me!

Back
Top Bottom