What a mess! Will it ever end? WARNING! Long story

emvickrey

ChowDown Silkie Farm
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Hornbeak, Tennessee
BAck in the middle of July we where offered FREE RENT by a family member that owns a mobile home that is located on the corner of his property. It consists of about 1/2 an acre. Well, times are hard so we took the offer. There was one condition, WE had to fix what was wrong with it and clean the place up. I took a look at it and I have seen worse so OK, I said we can do this but it's gonna be hard.
I was faced with the fact that I had to rehome 3 of my very much loved dogs and at least 23 chickens. All that stress and heart break sent my blood pressure sky high and I ended up in the hospital before we even moved the first thing.
So that happening, nobody would let me do anything. I just had the chore of rehoming my loved animals and driving my car after somebody else packed it.
After they got all of our stuff in, chicken coop moved and the 2 dogs we had setttled in, DH started on the water lines. We stayed next door with his sister and her husband during this time.

Oh, I missed a critical part. The previous tennant had left the place a mess. He had taken the food out of his fridge and tossed it under the kitchen sink and closed the doors. There was a large bag of garbage stuck to the bathroom floor. It had human waste under that. This happened sometime this past december. The owners are not able to work on the place so they just left it. It sat that way until July when DH started on it. I cleaned most of the place but couldn't do it all. Poor DH was stuck with alot of it. I got sick again and he ended up finishing up the cleaning, then started moving stuff in. Ok where caught up on that one.

He started with replacing all the water lines because they busted in the winter. We discovered the faucets where no good so he replaced all of them too. Then he started on the electricity. The pole was snapped in two during the ice storm in January so the electric company came out and removed the lines since the place was empty. The codes had changed since the place had been worked on last so DH had to replace everything from the pole to the breaker box. Had it inspected so we could turn it on and she failed us because she wanted him to add another ground pole to the breaker box. It already had 2 and the 2 ground wires had their own pole. She wanted him to run both through the third pole. Which was a bunch of you know what. So we had to buy another pole and pay for another inspection and she passed us.

So we had water and electric. Yeah!!!

Now, DH was replacing the brother n laws kitchen counter and discovered where his water leak was. The ground was soaked under the house where the lines where for the sink. They discovered how bad the lines where and decided to replace them all. WELL, that turned into a huge ordeal. WE share a water meter and we are suppose to pay the bill. I guess that is rent but not a problem. I don't expect them to pay for our water. He decided to replace all the water lines from the meter to his house and the old store that sits in front of our place and the lines to our place and to our outside faucet since it isn't attached to our place. It is next to the shed.
I come home yesterday evening after visiting my daughter and they have a ditch witch digging trenches all over the place. My brother n laws house is about 3 city houses away from us. Then today they dig a trench to our outside faucet. This trench went right in front of my front steps on the deck. They pulled up the concrete stepping stones which are rectanguglar. I had dirt all over my steps. Oh, did I mention I had my 2 grandsons over running in and out all day too.
So here it is, day 2 and no water. When he finishes that he has to pull up our bathroom floor and replace it. That part we have to pay for unfortunately. The brother n law is only paying for the water lines from the meter to the homes. We have paid for all the stuff for this place with my little ol unemployment check because neither of us are working. I can't and he hasn't had time to even look with trying to get this place livable.
I finally found a home for the last dog I was willing to rehome last week. We are down to 1 dog and she goes where I do. She has been part of our family since she was a pup and she is 12 now. I found roos for 2 of my hens that I want to keep the breed going so now I have to get him to build pens for them when they arrive. I have temp cages but they need a place they can have a nest. The coop needs turned and the run attached so my chickies are safe while outside. My AO's need a place for breeding too. So much to do with only one person to do it.
I think he deserves a vacation after he gets all this done. I keep getting lottery tickets so maybe I can pay for him to take a nice vacation. He deserves it for sure.

hugs.gif

do you have like a habitat for humanity store near you? it's where people donate their *old* stuff or not wanted for whatever reasons. Alot is still really good stuff. Lots of faucets, sinks, tubs and the like at the one near us. all i can say is good luck in all you do:)

Sue

eta here is a link for "restores" in your state... according to the thing under your avatar. lol:) i like going there but i spend too much money haha.

http://www.habitat.org/cd/env/restore_detail.aspx?place=83

Last edited:
Quote:
Thanks for that info. I checked it out and the closest is Jackson and thats a little over an hour drive away. The owner of the property has paid for all the replacement parts for the water lines from the meter to the buildings. All we have left that has to be replaced inside is the bathroom floor. We used to own this trailer about 4 years ago and sold it to our brother n law. When we had it all the floors got replaced but we hadn't had flooring put on all the floors. The bathroom was one of them. So one of the people that lived here after us put that stuff that you would put on the bathroom wall. They are panels and has a bumpy texture. It feels like plastic to me. Well, he put it in, in sections and didn't seal the seams and water leaked in and ruined the wood under. It all has to be torn up and replaced again. So all we need are a couple sheets of plywood. Hopefully the boards, supports or what ever they are called are alright. We have the plumbing parts for the toilet to put in when it gets set back in place.

Quote:
We where told that we can live here free rent as long as they are here and we are here too. They would like us to be able to save to buy a home of our own. Which is what we are hoping for ourselves. Something with some land. I am an animal lover and need room for them.

Well, I made things worse today. I was going down the steps to check the mail and feed the chickies and I had on Crocks. Anybody that has worn them knows they slide when on wet ground or floor. It rained this morning and the steps had mud on them. One leg went in front of me and the other went beside me. I'm a big girl so I put alot of weight on my bent knee. I don't think I broke anything. I didn't hear anything break anyway. But, I can't bend that knee or put pressure on it. It was fine after I did it. I came in and changed my muddy cloths and checked the mail, took care of the chickies and even shot a video of them.

After sitting for a little while I tried to get up and couldn't bend my knee without terrible pain. I am already on pain meds so I took one. IT hasn't helped. I guess if it is still hurting tomorrow, i'll have it x-rayed. DH is on my case, says I need to be in the recliner instead of here.

Quote:
Thank you very much. We got water last night but I couldn't wash any dishes or laundry because I hurt my knee when I fell. Its a little better this morning but i'm going to ER to have it e-rayed.

DH still has more to do because the neighbors don't have water yet.

Back
Top Bottom