What a surprize I got !!!

The Great Horned Owl in your trap had a problem with his right eye.
You can see some surface abbrasions on the eye and the right pupil is bigger than the left. He may have had a previous run-in with a fence, car or other predator and is therefore now going for the "easy options" such as your poor rooster. They wouldn't normally crawl into a trap like this unless they were in usual circumstances.

As for the injuries of your poor roo: It does sound more like a coon-inflicted injury than what an owl would cause. If a Great Horned Owl had gotten a hold of the roo's head, it would have been not just skinned but crushed and torn off. They have incredibly strong feet that can crush a fox skull. (I know... I've worked with owls, hawks, falcons and eagles for about 10 years already and know exactly what it feels like when this guy clamps down on something...
ep.gif
)

Thanks for letting the poor guy go
frow.gif
and sorry about your poor roo!

Quote:
Well I disagree, I must have stop the attack, like I said the rooster was still bleeding. Think the damage to the rooster was done by the owl beak. As it was behind weld wire .

The pupil of the one eye was larger like it couldnt close as much, that would only hurt its daytime vision right. As far as it going in the trap, thats was the only way to get back to the fresh kill rooster. Seen many coon kills, thought this was odd. But after placing the trap there sure it was the owl.

Like I said no matter, I release it , and think he will be fine.
Was going to take him to the DNR , but rather have it here on my place, to control raccoons,rats, and yes cats.

Plus I have lot of land set aside for wildlife.

I found a half grown possum head 3 days ago, just a few feet from where the rooster was killed. no body just a head. Bet the owl got it also.

Must be "Owl Time in Ohio", Deerman. I've been trying to trap a rat(s) for some time. Came out for work this morning and the chickens were carrying on like they needed me to come see something. Sitting in front of the coop door was a medium sized owl. I cautiously approached it and it would not fly - even with a few nudges of a rake. I had to get off to work. Get home this afternoon and the wife tells me all about "George" the owl that has found a home roosting on top of the goat barn
roll.png

And how an animal control friend is coming over to pick him up.

Turns out it is the Common Barn Owl and it has a large hole behind a wing. We snatched it up in a dip net and placed it in a carrier. She's going to take it to somebody that rehabs animals like George. They are on the Ohio endangered species list. So I'm glad we got it 'rescued". What a beautiful bird.

yes just open the door, prop it up. He walk/flop out flew to the woods behind the house.

Yes he was not happy, had to take pics. sure not many would believe I caught one in a live trap. Heck I cant believe it.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom