What age did your roo start crowing?

I have 2 ee roos that I have had since day olds. As far as I know I have never heard either of them crow.

but I also have a barred rock and slw roo that are pen bosses so maybe they just keep them subdued.

in total I have at least 9 roos but my EE's are the quiet ones.

Do you think the girls that boss him around, could that keep him from crowing?

He is a very sweet gentle bird.

it's possible but most roos will assert their dominence over hens. Unless he is just very timid. but since he is the only male he should be crowing loudly. and doing the mating dance to impress the hens.

maybe he's just gonna be the slow sweet Romeo.

my 2 ee roos are right at a year old.

Question...when does a roo get his pretty tail? Mine is 23 weeks. New pics...still not crowing. His tail looks like a hen's tail right now. Thanks!

Last edited:
Question...when does a roo get his pretty tail? Mine is 23 weeks. New pics...still not crowing. His tail looks like a hen's tail right now. Thanks!

If he is a true Americauna, he may not get a big, splendid rooster's tail. Some breeds don't, and those guys are one of the breeds. My polish, on the other hand, had a beautiful rooster's tail until a predator pulled most of his feathers out chasing him! At least it saved his life, even though he looked a bit funny afterwards.

If he is a true Americauna, he may not get a big, splendid rooster's tail.  Some breeds don't, and those guys are one of the breeds.  My polish, on the other hand, had a beautiful rooster's tail until a predator pulled most of his feathers out chasing him!  At least it saved his life, even though he looked a bit funny afterwards.

Thanks. Yes, he is a Blue Ameraucana. Hopefully he will get a beautiful rooster tail. I'm glad your polish roo is ok. His tail should grow back, right?

Last edited:
well our rooster (which is a bantam silkie) started crowing around 15 weeks (he just started a week ago) but to say i have no idea if i have any other roosters with him (hatched our own eggs last year)

Amerauana's don't have large tails like some of the other breeds do.  He is not fully grown yet, and will grow into his tail.  My males (different breeds) don't finish growing until they are about a year old.

You can see pictures of what his tail may end up like here:
http://ameraucanaalliance.org/photos.html

Thanks Chooks. That link was helpful. The adult Blue roo is beautiful. I figured it might take longer, up to a year for this full tail to grown in. Can't wait :D

Back
Top Bottom