What age do most cockerels begin crowing?

So funny, I moved my adult chickens to the pens next to my 2 1/2 month old Easter Eggers. I had not head them crow before. Then Yesterday I was out working around the pens and head my Big BLRW Crow then right after him I head a much weaker sounding crow then another and another. Go out to the pens an stat watching and it was 2 of the Easter Eggers crowing away. Looks like I have Roos in that pen so I am sure the others will join in shortly If I haven't sold them.

Interesting. Seems like it can vary a lot! Maybe I'll get lucky and one of them won't crow at all so I can keep one. :fl what are the chances of that lol
Another of my (3) roosters began to crow today, at 17 weeks. I'm not sure which one, I wasn't close enough to see if it was White Harvey or Brahma Elmer. So now we are going to have a duet! So far they all get along with each other, no fighting.
:p

I have at least two confirmed cockerel in my flock so far, despite buying from the pullet bins. Such is life. I am not allowed to have roosters per my city ordinance, so I will need to rehome them at some point. That point will probably be when they begin crowing.

My oldest is a close to 10 week old SLW. Not a peep from him so far. The youngest is a 4 week old barred rock. Right now they are outside together but separated by wire because I'm integrating the second part of my flock to the older ones.
My first Buff Orpington cockerel crowed at seven weeks. My new boy for 2018 is twelve weeks not a peep

My Silver Sebright boy started crowing at about 4.5-5 weeks old. It wasn't loud, actually was kind of cute. He sounded like a squeaky door hinge, but he was very proud of himself. Now that his voice is starting to change at eight weeks old, I haven't heard him crow at all. Some Sebright pullets and hens crow, as well, apparently.

Of my presumed SIX:th cockerels of a group of eight 8.5 week old chickens (5 were supposed to be pullets, 3 straight run), I now have three crowing. My mystery guy turned out to be a brown leghorn and he is gorgeous and so is his crow, which began at seven weeks, clear as a bell...perfect the very first time.

Now, my adorable little teddy bear who loves to cuddle, a black Bantam Cochin, has started the cutest little crow ever. It sounds like an old hinge closing, crossed with a tiny elderly woman clearing her throat. :lau

My Welsummer had also started attempting to crow the last few days, but he mostly just makes "ERRR!" noises.

I guess I have a crew of over -achievers....especially considering they were supposed to be pullets! :lau

My Silver Sebright boy started crowing at about 4.5-5 weeks old. It wasn't loud, actually was kind of cute. He sounded like a squeaky door hinge, but he was very proud of himself. Now that his voice is starting to change at eight weeks old, I haven't heard him crow at all. Some Sebright pullets and hens crow, as well, apparently.
That's too funny....I just posted too describing one of my guys sounding like an old hinge.

Do you happen to have any pics of your sebright cockerel? I've got one that's 8.5 weeks old and I just don't know if it's a cockerel or not! It would be great to compare my chickies' comb to yours!

Back
Top Bottom