What age do you put your ducklings outside?

ducks_rcool329

Songster
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Black Forest, Colorado
So i have 14 Ducklings (ish) in my garage in a large stock tank. They are 6 weeks old, and getting way to big for their stock tank. its the largest stock tank available in our area. My question is, would it be okay if they went outside in the chicken coop (dosent have chickens in it yet... just finished it) with a heat lamp? I would keep the mallards inside, because they are too small to go out. Thanks!

I'm no expert were total newbies lol but we put our muscovies out at just turning 4 wks the weather temp had climbed up and the brooder was turning into a disaster ..despite daily cleaning.. they have now been out there almost a week(on sunday) and they are doing really well, even though the weather decided we had it to good and dropped to 45 F
roll.png
after being 100 two days ago...

We have a heavy insulated dog house that they can go in for now.. we'll build a proper duck house over summer.. Again we're totally new to this but the ducks needed to forage and a space that would stay cleaner...so we felt time inside had come to an end. Of coarse i think it depends greatly on your outside temps, the type of shelter you have available and of coarse the age of the ducklings..

Quote:
I know how you feel on the brooder being a disaster, in all the 3 years of raising ducklings, this flock is the worst. Everyday.. there is 3 inches of water in there from them spilling it.
barnie.gif

I had my 18 outside at 3 weeks with no heat lamp. They dont have a heat lap in the wild, but fair enough they dont have a mam eaither but they can cuddle up if they are cold. They are more hardier than you think.
lol.png

I had my 3 ducklings and gosling out of the brooder/house at 2 weeks since they messed it up withing hours of cleaning it.
They were getting in thier adult down anyway so I figured they could huddle up if needed.
They are now a month old and doing well, chests are fully feathered and getting feasters on sides and backs as well as flight feathers.

I have 16....5.5 week olds in my family room in a huge 8 foot kiddie pool. It has shavings in the bottom covered with towels The towels get changed twice a day and the shavings every day or every other... These ducklings are TIME INTENSIVE.... but man.. aren't they cutest things????? I'm in Northern CA and we are having the weirdest weather. It is still too cold..only in the 50's during the day and much colder at night and these guys aren't nearly feathered out enough.. especially the runners. The WH may do OK outside right now, but my coop isn't ready for them... and this weekend it is supposed to STORM all weekend long... so I guess it will be a few more days before I get them outside???
sad.png

It's going to depend on the weather and what your coop is like. Personally, mine go out at 3 weeks. I'm in northern Michigan and it's none too warm here. If you have a large group like you do, they will huddle together. If you are more comfortable with a heat lamp on, go for it. In my opinion at 6 weeks they will be fine without it. They are pretty hardy. I find that when the smell gets so overwhelming you just can't stand it anymore, that's natures way of saying, "we're ready to go out".

I had my 18 outside at 3 weeks with no heat lamp. They dont have a heat lap in the wild, but fair enough they dont have a mam eaither but they can cuddle up if they are cold. They are more hardier than you think.
lol.png
I accidentally turned my 2 muscovies into house pets . They actually trained really well with dog training pads but now I’m ready for to go outside and they love being out their during the day even sometimes at night tho they always end up at the back door ready to come in no later then midnight. I tired leaving them out there alright and they weren’t happy with me when I eventually caved to let them in . They wouldn’t let me touch them and was running from me How do I turn them loose with loosing trust ?

I accidentally turned my 2 muscovies into house pets . They actually trained really well with dog training pads but now I’m ready for to go outside and they love being out their during the day even sometimes at night tho they always end up at the back door ready to come in no later then midnight. I tired leaving them out there alright and they weren’t happy with me when I eventually caved to let them in . They wouldn’t let me touch them and was running from me How do I turn them loose with loosing trust ?
:welcome
Do you have a safe place for them to sleep in over night? If not they won't last long predators will find them. Al poultry need protection from predators.

Back
Top Bottom