What age to give polish cockerel a companion?

NNations

Songster
May 1, 2018
Fredericksburg, Texas
We have been finding homes for our 5 month old cockerels because we did not have enough hens to go around and we can't expand our chicken housing just yet. We have 1 more to find a home for but my husband and I were talking about getting him a companion/mate if that doesn't happen. He is a golden laced polish and he is currently separated out from the flock in his very own bachelor pad. We go out every evening and let him out and he falls asleep in our arms. If we end up keeping him, I am wondering at what age I can integrate a golden laced polish hen for him to be with? Does he need to be a rooster (1 year old) or does that matter? I certainly don't want to introduce a hen to soon if he isn't ready. Thank you for your time and advice.

Here is Chocolate - our Golden Laced Polish Cockerel
Chocolate (2).jpg

The earlier the better; I'd try to find a pullet the same age or older as he is at breeding age already and you'll need a girl that is too to avoid unsavouriness. Keeping a pair can work, but I'd also be inclined to get more than one girl to avoid the risk of over-breeding next spring.
Ok great! I was hoping to be able to do it sooner than later but I wasnt sure. I’ll make sure she is egg laying and I like the idea of two as well. Overbreeding was a concern in my head too. Thank you!

I would recommend getting at least 3 hens . He will rip her feathers and not leave one alone .

By the way , he can be perfectly happy with other roosters too, that way it could just be two . If there aren’t any hens to rile them up , a rooster pad works well

Back
Top Bottom