WHAT AGE?

misshell

Songster
May 30, 2020
Livermore, California
I have four gold sex links and six buff orpingtons. When will they start laying eggs? I thought it was at about ten months, but was surprised to read on here its around 16 weeks. I'm really not prepared for that as far as the nesting boxes being open. They are 12 weeks old. I don't mind getting things ready if egg laying is sooner than I was told!

I have four gold sex links and six buff orpingtons. When will they start laying eggs? I thought it was at about ten months, but was surprised to read on here its around 16 weeks. I'm really not prepared for that as far as the nesting boxes being open. They are 12 weeks old. I don't mind getting things ready if egg laying is sooner than I was told!
The sex links can be early at 16 weeks but the BO probably more like 20.

If nests aren't open right now, what's the issue with opening them up sooner rather than later?

If you simply don't have them ready, better hustle with putting some together, buy commercially made ones, or you can use simple things like milk crates or litter boxes instead.

If nests aren't open right now, what's the issue with opening them up sooner rather than later?

If you simply don't have them ready, better hustle with putting some together, buy commercially made ones, or you can use simple things like milk crates or litter boxes instead.
I have nesting boxes in the coop, just blocked off so they don't poop in them. Also, I still have two cockerels I need to rehome. I'm not ready for more chicks lol

I have nesting boxes in the coop, just blocked off so they don't poop in them. Also, I still have two cockerels I need to rehome. I'm not ready for more chicks lol

Are the birds roosting reliably? If so, best to open nests in advance of when you need them, to ensure 1) birds will continue roosting even with nests open (and if not, then you can think about how to keep them on the roosts) and 2) to allow pullets to explore nests so when time comes to lay, they'll give the boxes consideration as safe spots to use.

Back
Top Bottom