What all do you put in your egg mayonnaise?

Gypsy07

Songster
9 Years
Feb 4, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
... apart from eggs and mayonnaise, that is?
Any herbs or finely chopped onions or anything like that?

I usually just put in a fair bit of pepper.
Wondering if I'm missing out on some super-duper mystery ingredient...

Never bought mayo at a store since I learned to make it myself.
I like to add a pinch of red pepper flake and then a TSP or so of dry tarragon to mine. And lots of fresh cracked black pepper.
Also worth mentioning is an old standby of mine: steamed artichokes (tops trimmed off and cut in half lengthwise, and cored, then steamed) served in a wide bowl with medium shrimp tossed in lemon zest, dry tarragon and chopped parsley, serve with the mayo on the side and drizzle some zesty cocktail sauce over the shrimp. This was the one I served my Godfather

11_15_05_1913.jpg

This is what I put...

MAYONNAISE

2 egg yolks
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 cup oil
Salt to taste

Put the eggs, vinegar, lemon juice and dry mustard in the food processor and whip it for a second or two to mix it up good. With the processor running drizzle the oil into the eggs in a very thin stream until all the oil is in. Add a pinch of salt and taste it to see if it needs more. Some people like to spice their Mayo, I put a bit with cayenne and a pinch of garlic salt.

I triple this recipe to fill a quart jar....

Tip: Mayo keeps 4 weeks in the refrigerator as long as only CLEAN utensils are dipped in it. I put a "due" date on my jar just in case but I’ve never had it last that long.

I would be remiss if I did NOT preach to all of you to be more food safe. Now sure you may have made fresh mayo in the past with no problems, but count yourself lucky. In the future PLEASE coddle your eggs in rapidly boiling water for 45 seconds before breaking them into the jar or food processor. This not only sterilizes the outside of the egg but takes the internal temp of the egg up enough to make it food safe, you'll notice a small amount of the egg white has cooked onto the shell (good sign). Not telling you this would go against everything I was ever taught again and again and again. Be food safe.

"I teach you this so you'll be smart
Besides it makes interesting cocktail chatter"
Chef Patricia of the California Culinary Academy

My emulsions thread:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=167469

Or you can make cooked mayo... This works, I made it when we had a person in the family visiting who has a compromised immune system. But when it's just us I don't worry about it.

COOKED MAYONNAISE
by Marilyn

2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (you can use vinegar if you want)
2 tablespoons water
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1 cup oil (canola and soy oils are illegal. usually if something says vegetable oil, it's soy)
salt to taste

In a small saucepan, stir together egg yolks, lemon juice, water, mustard, and salt with a wooden spoon until blended. Place over very low heat and stir constantly until it bubbles in one or two spots. Remove from the heat and let stand 4 minutes. Pour into a blender and blend, slowly adding the oil in a thin, constant stream. Scrape down the sides as needed. When the mixture in thick and smooth, chill until ready to use.

my mayo is pretty much like bettys first recipe but I always use olive oil (changing the type of olive oil can change your flavor dramaticly)& like mike I also add tarragon.

Betty - what is this? "(canola and soy oils are illegal. usually if something says vegetable oil, it's soy)"

Are you referring to chopped hardboiled egg mixed with mayo? Pretty sure it's called Egg Salad in the US.

I don't do anything fancy with mine, although I always add pinch of mustard powder to my mayo. Sometimes a few cherry tomatoes chopped finely through the egg mixture is nice.

Oh dear, the old fries/chips/crisps type misunderstanding! I keep forgetting this is a predominantly American forum. Silly me.

I'm actually FAR too lazy to make my own mayo. Though some of your descriptions really make me want to have a go at it. But yes, I was really meaning when you mash up hard boiled eggs and mix them up with shop bought (I know, sacrilege!) mayonnaise to put in sandwiches. But thank you all for your suggestions and recipes. I may yet become a home made mayo convert, after all I do have a dozen eggs a day going spare...

Quote:
Interesting comment as it takes about 5 minutes to make. You probably have all the ingredients in your cupboard:

1 Tbls Dijon Mustard
Salt & Pepper
Dried Herbs ( thyme, or dry tarragon or Herbs de Provence)
3 Tbls White vinegar (I almost exclusively use rice wine vinegar because I usually have 3 kinds in the cupboard)

Eggs

1 Cup Oil (I prefer using Corn Oil myself, but a canola or vegetable oil works well - I was always taught a NEUTRAL flavored oil, EVO is expensive to use and strong flavored).

Put on a pot of water to boil. Place the first group of ingredients in your storage jar (if you are using an immersible food wand) or blender.
When the water comes to a boil submerge your eggs for 45 seconds to coddle. Remove from water with a slotted spoon or spider basket and break eggs into your "preparation container"/blender
Start blender on medium speed and slowly SLOWLY drizzle in the oil. Now switch to high and continue adding your oil until the sound of the blender changes - it's working harder because the emulsion is getting thick, you'll notice the mixture is getting thick and looking familiar (like mayo). Stop blender, test consistency and taste for seasoning. Remove from blender and into your very clean storage jar.

Refrigerate and be prepared to be very pleasantly surprised how really good it is.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom