What Am I Doing Wrong??

FireGal

Chirping
Aug 27, 2019
Northeast Arkansas
I am about to give up on this, y’all. I am trying so hard, but apparently failing. My girls are dying. One by one, every month or so, I lose another one.
I started in February with four EE’s and three Mosaics. In April I got two Dominiques. They are all gone. In August I got six more girls. I’m losing another one today.
I lost one to a fox, so that I understand. The others I don’t. They are doing fine and then literally overnight they just... aren’t. I lost one a few weeks ago. She was a bit lethargic the night before but the weather had gotten colder. I was concerned but not panicked. She was dead the next morning.
This morning I am losing another one. She was fine yesterday. This morning she keeps falling over.
My coop is clean. They are protected. Fresh food. Clean water.
I just wanted eggs and entertainment

I am not entertained. It hurts my heart to lose them, and I have read and researched. I have no idea what I’m doing wrong.

I am about to give up on this, y’all. I am trying so hard, but apparently failing. My girls are dying. One by one, every month or so, I lose another one.
I started in February with four EE’s and three Mosaics. In April I got two Dominiques. They are all gone. In August I got six more girls. I’m losing another one today.
I lost one to a fox, so that I understand. The others I don’t. They are doing fine and then literally overnight they just... aren’t. I lost one a few weeks ago. She was a bit lethargic the night before but the weather had gotten colder. I was concerned but not panicked. She was dead the next morning.
This morning I am losing another one. She was fine yesterday. This morning she keeps falling over.
My coop is clean. They are protected. Fresh food. Clean water.
I just wanted eggs and entertainment

I am not entertained. It hurts my heart to lose them, and I have read and researched. I have no idea what I’m doing wrong.
Well this is a bit complicated I'm a little confused sounds like predators to me it there any noticeable damage the the chickens. I don't think it's wether related unless you have a vary sensitive breed. I have never lost a bird to bad wether. Not saying it can't happen but I live in a cold climate. One year we had minus 40 degrees Fahrenheit wether. All birds lived with minimal frost bite. Sounds
Like a possible disease my old flock had a respiratory disease that killed some of the birds. After I got rid of that flock and disinfected the coop and added new birds. Where did you get your birds? Sorry I don't mean to scare you im just bran storming .

So sorry. :( :hugs:hugs

What is the source you are getting them from, what is their age, what are you feeding on a regular basis?

Getting a necropsy might give you answers and is highly recommended since you are having repeat deaths... Links to help...
How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy

State poultry labs

Is she eating and drinking? In the lay box, in a corner, or with the flock? Crop full, empty, hard, squishy? How are droppings color and consistency? Has she laid any eggs?

Easiest suspicions... Marek's, coccidiosis. Without more information though it can be difficult to discern cause. Are you seeing any sneezing or hearing wheezing? Any change in pupils or iris of the eye?

Hang in there, it isn't supposed to be this hard! :fl

Is it possible that in addition to the one being lost to a fox attack, that others had internal injuries, that led to infections/damage that they just "held on" for varying amounts of time? Or off-gassing by whatever the coop is made of, and some just are more sensitive, or stay inside and are more exposed to it than others? I definitely agree with the idea of a necropsy, If done now, it could point you in the right direction and hopefully restore your confidence in your ability to keep chickens. Sorry about your losses, and best of luck going forward.

You have 2 labs. IMO, the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville is the way to go.
https://aaes.uark.edu/technical-services/veterinary-diagnostic-lab/
https://www.aad.arkansas.gov/veterinary-diagnostic-lab
If you call them, they will likely send you a FedEx label for shipping if your aren't close.

You didn't say what kind of feed they've been eating since you got them.
By that I mean, was it starter, grower, all flock, layer or something else?

Describe the ventilation in the building in detail.
Don't be concerned about cold for healthy birds but a sick bird may need to be brought somewhere warm.

So sorry. :( :hugs:hugs

What is the source you are getting them from, what is their age, what are you feeding on a regular basis?

Getting a necropsy might give you answers and is highly recommended since you are having repeat deaths... Links to help...
How to Send a Bird for a Necropsy

State poultry labs

Is she eating and drinking? In the lay box, in a corner, or with the flock? Crop full, empty, hard, squishy? How are droppings color and consistency? Has she laid any eggs?

Easiest suspicions... Marek's, coccidiosis. Without more information though it can be difficult to discern cause. Are you seeing any sneezing or hearing wheezing? Any change in pupils or iris of the eye?

Hang in there, it isn't supposed to be this hard! :fl
She came out of the coop this morning but was laying on the ground when I found her. She drank a little Sav A Chik but only when I spoon fed it to her. She ate a very little (a few pecks) scrambled eggs in the same way. Her droppings were normal last night but runny this morning. She has not laid yet.
No sneezing, wheezing, coughing. Eyes are clear, comb is red and not falling over.
She seems fine in every way...she just can’t walk. She can move her legs, though.

Is it possible that in addition to the one being lost to a fox attack, that others had internal injuries, that led to infections/damage that they just "held on" for varying amounts of time? Or off-gassing by whatever the coop is made of, and some just are more sensitive, or stay inside and are more exposed to it than others? I definitely agree with the idea of a necropsy, If done now, it could point you in the right direction and hopefully restore your confidence in your ability to keep chickens. Sorry about your losses, and best of luck going forward.

Anything is possible but the fox attack was in July and I check each of them beak to tail every single night after they go in the coop.
The coop is made of wood, just regular lumber and a metal roof. It is ventilated well. The girls come out of the coop at sunrise and generally stay out till dark. I clean the coop every day.
They free range for about half the day but generally stay within about a two acre area.
I feed layer food because all the girls are over six months, though none of these have started laying. They were born in June.

This is a picture so you can see her.

Attachments

• F9C7A9D7-4A22-418E-87A7-19E7A72B99AA.jpeg
    F9C7A9D7-4A22-418E-87A7-19E7A72B99AA.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 22
  • DB1203CD-B995-4EF4-BB23-8F126B47AA0A.jpeg
    DB1203CD-B995-4EF4-BB23-8F126B47AA0A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
This is a picture so you can see her.
Gosh I'm out of ideas. Here's what I would try if she doesn't make it ....... After she dies which my not happen but if it does waite a few week's or even months before getting new chickens . Then buy chicks from a reliable hatchery and introduce them to a new clean coop. The reason why I say "clean" is because if your old flock had a disease it may stay dormant in your old chickens feces.

Back
Top Bottom