Whats going on?!?

Roszak08

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2023
Still new to everything chicken. My adult chicken has stopped laying eggs for about 2 weeks now I noticed last week before we went out of town that she had started losing a few feathers. Got back in town yesterday and noticed she has lost quite a few feathers. She is still eating just fine and seems to be her usual sassy self but I know something must be wrong. It has gotten a bit colder recently and I started giving s new brand of treats but other than that I don't know what's changed.

Here is a pic.

Attachments

• 20240113_151829.jpg
    20240113_151829.jpg
    620.9 KB · Views: 4
No worries, she’s probably just molting. Some chicken breeds will stop their laying period for molts. Or she could be a breed that just stops laying when it’s cold! As long as she’s doing her usual chickeny daily things, I’m sure she’s fine

She’s an absolute cutie!!! She is definitely molting :) Is she a production red or rhode island red?
Thanks 😊. She is a rhode island red. We got her in October and she had a small bald spot because they said she had just finished molting. That is why I'm surprised she is molting again. Especially since it's so cold out. I'm worried if she will have enough feathers to keep warm. I have a warmer in their coop but it isn't a heater.

Thanks 😊. She is a rhode island red. We got her in October and she had a small bald spot because they said she had just finished molting. That is why I'm surprised she is molting again. Especially since it's so cold out. I'm worried if she will have enough feathers to keep warm. I have a warmer in their coop but it isn't a heater.
so she definitely stopped laying because of her molt! And from what I can tell from my chickens I had a production red that had a big molt a few months ago then molted again the same year and I noticed chickens molt in sections so it’s possible wherever she is molting was just ready to fall off and still might’ve been really old. As for keeping her warm try to give her lots of scratch as well during this time as chickens insulate themselves by digestion since digesting causes heat. During really cold months I give my chickens scratch right before they go to bed

Still new to everything chicken. My adult chicken has stopped laying eggs for about 2 weeks now I noticed last week before we went out of town that she had started losing a few feathers. Got back in town yesterday and noticed she has lost quite a few feathers. She is still eating just fine and seems to be her usual sassy self but I know something must be wrong. It has gotten a bit colder recently and I started giving s new brand of treats but other than that I don't know what's changed.

Most hens go out of lay during molt. Your looks to be molting and if she's eating/drinking and interacting with her flock she should be fine.

In cold weather, as long as there's a place where she can have protection from the wind/elements, she should be fine as well. I've had hens in hard molt, almost naked in January, I just made sure there was some deep bedding in the corners of the coop so they could snuggle down on windy days if they wished.

I'd also make sure she is eating her normal nutritionally balanced poultry feed for most of her diet so she has enough protein to grow those new feathers in. Remember Scratch, corn and other things are treats, so go easy on those, while they may provide some quick energy, they are low on protein and can dilute the overall daily nutrition requirements a hen needs.

Back
Top Bottom