What's wrong with my chicken?

Rostabunny

Chirping
Jul 13, 2022
North Carolina
I noticed that my black austrolorp hen recently started getting an abscess below her vent. It has been there for about a week.

She also is losing her feathers below her. She is molting quite a bit. Is there something I need to do for her, and what is the issue for both of them?

I attached the images of her below.
One troubled bird 😅

Attachments

• 20231120_134339.jpg
    20231120_134339.jpg
    623 KB · Views: 34
  • 20231120_134334.jpg
    20231120_134334.jpg
    623.4 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
I noticed that my black austrolorp hen recently started getting an abscess below her vent. It has been there for about a week.

She also is losing her feathers below her. She is molting quite a bit. Is there something I need to do for her, and what is the issue for both of them?

I attached the images of her below.
One troubled bird 😅
Check to see if your roosting bar needs sanding or if you need to pad it. It's not uncommon for hens to rub a place on their keel or breast area and get a blister. It doesn't look too bad, but I'd keep an eye on it.

Below the vent, hard to tell if that bulge is a hernia, fat or ? Is her vent clean with no scabs or wounds?
Again, the bulge, I doubt there's anything you can do but check the tissue now an again to see if there's any scabby wounds that need to be tended to.

Check to see if your roosting bar needs sanding or if you need to pad it. It's not uncommon for hens to rub a place on their keel or breast area and get a blister. It doesn't look too bad, but I'd keep an eye on it.

Below the vent, hard to tell if that bulge is a hernia, fat or ? Is her vent clean with no scabs or wounds?
Again, the bulge, I doubt there's anything you can do but check the tissue now an again to see if there's any scabby wounds that need to be tended to.
Everything seems pretty smooth. This is what I found this morning though:
17005123510548205762634813025356.jpg

Back
Top Bottom