What Am I Doing Wrong??

Well if you are using straw as bedding that could be the problem. I only use pin shavings. from TSC, Straw will get stuck in their (crop *spelling? They basically die because they can't swallow.

Gosh I'm out of ideas. Here's what I would try if she doesn't make it ....... After she dies which my not happen but if it does waite a few week's or even months before getting new chickens . Then buy chicks from a reliable hatchery and introduce them to a new clean coop. The reason why I say "clean" is because if your old flock had a disease it may stay dormant in your old chickens feces.
If this group doesn’t make it, that’s a good idea.
I don’t know how I can get the coop any cleaner, though. I remove all bedding every single day, then I sweep the coop, wash it down and put in new bedding

Well if you are using straw as bedding that could be the problem. I only use pin shavings. from TSC, Straw will get stuck in their (crop *spelling? They basically die because they can't swallow.
They mainly have pine shavings with a little hay on top in the coop. There is some hay in their fenced in yard because we have had a lot of rain and part of their yard is muddy

This is a picture so you can see her.
That's a cockerel. Pretty sure I can see his pointy saddle feathers and double wide white barring, in addition to the dark red shoulders and bright red saddles. Sorry.

Age and posture are very pointy towards possible Marek's or nutrient deficit both of which could effect other flock members. Did you already express your feed routine and I missed it? Did you ever have to treat for coccidiosis as chicks, which could have lead to necrosis in the intestines leading to a nutrient deficit?

Link to best resource I have seen on Marek's...
Marek's Virus FAQ

I use hay and have for while. I'm serious about my breeding projects, safety, bio-security, etc... as well as fairly skilled at diagnosing many issues... I have not lost a single animal to the use of hay. Straw or any other form. I also use pine shavings, and sometimes rice hulls, dry leaves, mowed grass, etc. Crop blockage or impaction can happen and is a real concern so I'm not trying to diminish that. Make sure a form of grit is available. Mine use dirt from the ground but I do also bring in washed river sand (small pebbles essentially) as my stock load can be high at times.

ETA: Don't get new chickens without getting a necropsy. Depending on what the issue is will make a difference in what cleaning or how long vacating matters! You wouldn't bring a new un-vaccinated pup onto a premises with know Parvo virus.

ETAA: I do agree that straw is NOT a good litter.

Last edited:
They mainly have pine shavings with a little hay on top in the coop. There is some hay in their fenced in yard because we have had a lot of rain and part of their yard is muddy
Ok well I have heard chicken chick say your chickens should not have access to straw but I'm not sure how true that is. That's good that you are using pin shavings tho. this is a little over kill but ...https://the-chicken-chick.com/reasons-straw-does-not-belong-in/.

Straw and hay are two different things that shouldn't be confused.
Straw is for bedding. Hay is for feeding cattle, horses, sheep, goats and other grazing animals in winter but shouldn't be used for bedding. In any moist environment, hay will mold and aflatoxins produced can quickly kill chickens.

Straw is made from the dried stalks of cereal grasses like wheat, oats, rye, barley and others after the grains are harvested. The stalks are then baled.
Hay is made by cutting green grasses and legumes like alfalfa, ladino and clover, drying it in the sun and then baling.
If hay is baled before completely dry, it will mold. It has to be cut, dried, raked and baled when no rain is in the forecast or it is ruined.
There is still a lot of nutrition in the dried hay for ungulates and other grazers to get sustenance from when grass isn't available. Those nutrients feed the mold and other fungi when moist.
https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-540-72422-3_2

Last edited:
yea
Age and posture are very pointy towards possible Marek's or nutrient deficit both of which could effect other flock members. Did you already express your feed routine and I missed it? Did you ever have to treat for coccidiosis as chicks, which could have lead to necrosis in the intestines leading to a nutrient deficit?

Link to best resource I have seen on Marek's...
Marek's Virus FAQ

I would suspect Marek's too. It doesn't matter how clean you keep your coop, the Marek's virus can still get in. Definitely get one of your deceased birds to a lab so they can do a necropsy. Your state (Arkansas) lab's website is here: https://www.aad.arkansas.gov/veterinary-diagnostic-lab

EDIT: This is useful because it will tell you WHAT is killing your birds, be it Marak's, or something else.

Last edited:
I don’t know how I can get the coop any cleaner, though. I remove all bedding every single day, then I sweep the coop, wash it down and put in new bedding
What are you washing it down with? Possible contaminant source? Any oil leaks or other spills nearby?

Is the wash anti bacterial or anti viral? If not, that *may* be one possible way to improve "cleaning". I avoid overuse of these type of products UNLESS something has been identified.

Ok well I have heard chicken chick say your chickens should not have access to straw but I'm not sure how true that is. That's good that you are using pin shavings tho. this is a little over kill but ...https://the-chicken-chick.com/reasons-straw-does-not-belong-in/.
She has lots of great information, I wouldn't say particularly untrue. I would say it's good advice and note that everyone has different ways and resources and that's okay! :thumbsup

What works in some environments may not work well in others.;)

I just try and provide the information... without the fear mongering like "your chickens will die." Thank you for being passionate about helping save our birds! :cool:

I'm very sorry for your losses. I can imagine how dreadful that experience must be for you. Your concern and your efforts to protect your flock are not things that an irresponsible, incapable person would do, so please don't beat yourself up about the situation.
You've got some good advice from some really good folks here.
I would certainly give the coop, pen, feeding buckets, scoops..everything a very thorough cleaning. First though, I'd take some of your sick birds droppings to your local veterinarian for examination. From the information you have shared, I would say that coccidiosis is a good possibility. A veterinarian would be able to verify this or other conditions by examining the droppings.
I would call your local poultry veterinarian asap. Time is critical so call right away. It would be a good idea to run by your feed store for a bottle of Corrid, just in case and some probiotics. I recommend providing probiotics and implementing some fresh organic greens and herbs to your flocks diet. Nothing can stop bacteria and disease, but keeping things clean..providing fresh, quality food & water & adding probiotic supplements will help keep your birds at their best, & hopefully prevent anything from taking hold of your flock.
Please let us know what you find out. Don't give up! God bless you & your precious little ones!

Back
Top Bottom