what am i? 'duckling' found in garage

Is it just me or do 'his' legs look a bit "chubby" to anyone else?? I had a duckling once that hatched with bumps on it's bill, it was abscessess & they eventually went down after some time but there was always small lumps there afterward.

bumps on the beak are generally caused by pecking or digging if not breed specific..... do the feet have frostbite or anything??? Could the bumps be some sort of blister from frostbite or the legs could be swollen and discolored from the temperatures? It couldn't have been in that weather for long.

I can't see the pics, cause my computer isn't the best, so i'm going by your description. What you described sounds like a coot. This is the American version. The eurasian version is found in Belgium. At the size you describe is almost fully grown. They only get about 36cm tall and are small birds. They have their down for quite a while and some wiley ones are breeding now.

This is an adult Eurasian Coot. The American Coots have a red knob instead of a grey one and have darker legs.
eurasian-coot:fulica-atra-photo-7051.html

Last edited:
Aint no coot, aint no swan, looks like muscovy -mallard mix but 100% duck
lol.png
Keep us updated when he colors up
big_smile.png

Last edited:
My first thought is a tree duck, of some sort..before i even read any of the other posts, i assumed right away that it was not domestic had long legs like a tree duck and then thats what i thought!!
lol.png
Whatever he/she is i hope you have a good time with him/her and figure out what he is soon!
woot.gif

No idea what it is but, get it under a heat lamp and out of that water. A duckling like that, with tons of down still on it, needs a warm, dry brooder. Give it a waterer that it cannot get into or it may get chilled and die.

It is awfully cute!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Quote:
haha, I was just having to laugh there Shawn.
It's 100% some mallard derived domestic duck, most likely a rouen. Yes if anything with possible muscovy mix in it somewhere.
Incorrect build, color, and posture for any of the treeduck species too

Last edited:
haha, I was just having to laugh there Shawn.
It's 100% some mallard derived domestic duck, most likely a rouen. Yes if anything with possible muscovy mix in it somewhere.
Incorrect build, color, and posture for any of the treeduck species too

I agree.. Looks like a Mallard to me?
hu.gif
Not a Tree Duck, Swan goose or coot though...​

I thought mallard or scovy too - maybe it is the cold that has caused health issues and made the duck look kinda different?
He's still very cute though
smile.png
would be interesting to see how he turns out

I sent 2 of the pics to Jennifer, she runs the Carolina Waterfowl Rescue, to see if she can figure this little guy out. I let her know you are in Belgium. Hope this little guy is ok healthwise. Please keep us posted on his progress and update pics as he grows. This is interesting!

Back
Top Bottom