1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What am I seeing in this muscovy egg?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BunnyStyles, Oct 13, 2014.

1. BunnyStyles

BunnyStyles Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2014
    Hey guys i was candling my ducks egg even though she bit me a few times haha anyways I found this egg, a bit of it has been sorta pecked at probably when she stumbled into her nest anyways I found this egg, i dont know how many day she has been sitting on the eggs for, could someone probably tell whats happening?
    [​IMG]

Please help, I found another two eggs like this aswell

2. Outpost JWB

Outpost JWB Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    It looks like your duckling is about 2weeks into incubation. Congrats! And hope you wanted a baby[​IMG]

Did you put it back under your broody duck?

3. BunnyStyles

Aug 16, 2014
    thank you so much for telling me how many weeks ! :D and yes i did, got nasty bites tho haha my hand was full on bleeding when i got back into the house, she's very protective haha :) also thanks! :D i cant wait till they hatch :D

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  4. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    No problem....Hope I am right??? Just a guess. Please keep me posted. I hope you get a duckling!

5. dotporter

dotporter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2014
    Michigan
    Yep. Literally what you are seeing is the air sack, the white, and the circulatory system forming inside the shell. If you look from the side you should also be able to see the yolk and a little dark shadow which will eventually start to look more like a duckling. If you ever see a ring of blood, that's a shell death. It'll look like a red halo. Congratulations and I hope it hatches well.

6. BunnyStyles

Aug 16, 2014
    will keep you updated for sure! tho today my drake got into the nest with my duck charlie and squished a egg while trying to rape her :( she is very shaken up

7. BunnyStyles

Aug 16, 2014
    thank you!! i hope it hatches well too !! :)

8. Outpost JWB

Mar 31, 2014
    Ohio
    Can you make a brooder box or a makeshift cage around her?

9. BunnyStyles

Aug 16, 2014
    We have already did that :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by