What another size and heating the brooder question...sigh. Yes..

curlycropchics

Chirping
Mar 18, 2021
I am looking at using a 30 gallon, 30 x 20 17" deep, I have 5 chicks coming...is this going to be too small? Sussex (2), barred rock, Jersey giant and swedish sunshine hen. I am hoping to keep them in it for an extended time, if not has anyone used a large dog crate the metal ones, metal sides..I was looking at wrapping it in plastic fencing and lining the inside with cardboard for no energies and/or escapes to the small fencing. The crate is for a hundred pound dog so about 4 x 3, its pretty big.

Also I see some people have their chicks in garages or indoors, I wont get my littles till June 1. Would my sunroom be okay if its stays around 60 in there and then they have their heating lamp? Or do i need to bring them in till a little older and then put them out there?

Thanks for giving me a go and a possible answer. I promise I did search to see if past post covered my idea. :fl

I'd go with the dog crate, with the cardboard and extra fencing - much better ventilation and better size. Big enough that you can keep the chicks 6, 7 weeks in there if that's your goal.

Sunroom should be fine as long as that's an actual enclosed room and not just a porch with screens.

I'd go with the dog crate, with the cardboard and extra fencing - much better ventilation and better size. Big enough that you can keep the chicks 6, 7 weeks in there if that's your goal.

Sunroom should be fine as long as that's an actual enclosed room and not just a porch with screens.
yes its fully enclosed, windows door. Thank you:D, the dog crate was talking to me saying I am the better idea..but I was worried about the draft. But by June its staying pretty warm in WNY.

Back
Top Bottom