What antibiotic for Salpingitis?

Pics
What is it?

I have had some recover.
It’s been a few weeks now since I administered Baytril for lash egg. I have a couple questions for anyone that knows...

-How do I know if my hen and has recovered?. All along she has been acting normal drinking and eating and playing.
-i’m wondering if I should do a second round of Baytril at some point. The first time around I only gave her 0.2 mls once a day. That was my mistake I should’ve given her that amount 2x day.
Any additional advice would be greatly appreciate it thanks so much already

It’s been a few weeks now since I administered Baytril for lash egg. I have a couple questions for anyone that knows...

-How do I know if my hen and has recovered?. All along she has been acting normal drinking and eating and playing.
-i’m wondering if I should do a second round of Baytril at some point. The first time around I only gave her 0.2 mls once a day. That was my mistake I should’ve given her that amount 2x day.

@casportpony help :) You were so helpful before I’m just wondering what to do.

Lash eggs are caused by salpingitis. I think the antibiotics may or may not help once you see lash egg material. It might buy some time. I just did a necropsy on a hen last week that had lash eggs inside her abdomen. She was 7, and I don’t know how long she had salpingitis, since she had never passed any that I knew of. I don’t know if anyone can give you a timeline. Salpingitis is a common cause of death in chickens, and many times it is only found during an incedental necropsy or during processing at a meat plant. Here are some articles to read for information about it:
https://thepoultrysite.com/disease-guide/salpingitis
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

2.5 years old. I know what you mean. All the lash eggs I've seen online are much bigger.
2.5 years old. I know what you mean. All the lash eggs I've seen online are much bigger.
Hi! I’m new to chickens and mine has just laid exactly what you have shown in your photo. I want to know what ever came of your case as it might help me. I had the same thinking, small for a lash egg, also it was laid with a shell less egg.

Hi! I’m new to chickens and mine has just laid exactly what you have shown in your photo. I want to know what ever came of your case as it might help me. I had the same thinking, small for a lash egg, also it was laid with a shell less egg.
Mine was a pullet - had only come into lay recently at the time. There were soft shell and shell-less eggs. I didn't think too much of it at the time as others were still coming into lay.

After about a week of bad eggs, she started laying lash material. It never got hard, was more cottage cheese consistency, but quite a lot at times.

She was mopey and had a fever. I booked her in to the exotic vet, but they were full up and I had a several day wait. It was early days for me, so I treated her with garlic-covered dry crickets, a warm Epsom salt soak and ACV in her water daily. I did not remove her from the flock as the weather was pleasant and salpingitis isn't contagious - and she wasn't so sick she couldn't get around and eat.

She managed to clear the infection on her own and her fever had broken by the time she made it to the vet. She walked away with liquid calcium and some anti-inflamatories; never went on any antibiotics.

I'd had the girls on a premium grain feed before, but moved to pelleted after at the vet's recommendation. She had been laying double yolkers regularly before the soft shells started - my assumption is they caused an internal tear that led to the infection.

She no longer laid double yolkers after recovery. Her eggs were prone to minor shell quality issues and she was always more sensitive to heat after, but was still an egg a day once she recovered.

Welcome To BYC

Please post some photos of the lash egg/eggs and hen.
How old is she?
What do you feed?

This thread is from 2018 and the person you quoted hasn't been on since 2018, so very unlikely they will reply to question. So...basically - let's start with you and your hen - let's make a "new case" on this thread and continue on :)

Back
Top Bottom