What are all the different Poultry and game birds that you guys farm for meat/eggs/etc.?

TwistedChicken

Hatching
Mar 5, 2019
I Don't have many birds at the moment, but I'm quite interested in what kinds of birds can be farmed.
the birds I know of are:
chickens
ducks
geese
turkeys
swan
guinea fowl
peafowl
rhea
emu
ostrich
partridge
quail
grouse
pheasant
JungleFowl
pigeons/doves
If there are any other birds you keep on your farms, or know can be kept and raised in a flock, please add to my list. I might be a little too ambitious here, but I'm looking to do some proper research into this.

I guess the question should also be qualified as to what you want to do....
Raise them for Eggs, Egg sales, Hatching Eggs,.... Each and all species
Raise them for meat, Meat sales....
Raise them for Show?
Raise them for Livestock conservation?

I personally raised chicken for eggs and my own consumption Breed doesnt matter for me but some breeds lay only a few eggs a year. But I like Wellsummers mostly for eggs a few jungle fowl for bling Sumatras for broodies....

I raised Guinea Fowl for walking Burglar alarms... preditor and human alerts.

I raised Turkeys because they are a HOOT. only had two... Giant pets... Surprisingly they did a good job protecting the flock. I will never eat my turkeys....

I want to raise Muscovy Ducks as well. Good fliers and good defenders of their own flocks. Dont need alot of swimming water.

I will be processing each breed for meat for my own consumption... With the exception of the Turkey.

If you want to raise for commercial production you need to look in to the REGS for your state.... Get NPIP Certified, and what ever license you need for sales... In California you can sell yard eggs on your own property. Providing you dont have over three hundred chickens.

deb

I guess the question should also be qualified as to what you want to do....
Raise them for Eggs, Egg sales, Hatching Eggs,.... Each and all species
Raise them for meat, Meat sales....
Raise them for Show?
Raise them for Livestock conservation?

I personally raised chicken for eggs and my own consumption Breed doesnt matter for me but some breeds lay only a few eggs a year. But I like Wellsummers mostly for eggs a few jungle fowl for bling Sumatras for broodies....

I raised Guinea Fowl for walking Burglar alarms... preditor and human alerts.

I raised Turkeys because they are a HOOT. only had two... Giant pets... Surprisingly they did a good job protecting the flock. I will never eat my turkeys....

I want to raise Muscovy Ducks as well. Good fliers and good defenders of their own flocks. Dont need alot of swimming water.

I will be processing each breed for meat for my own consumption... With the exception of the Turkey.

If you want to raise for commercial production you need to look in to the REGS for your state.... Get NPIP Certified, and what ever license you need for sales... In California you can sell yard eggs on your own property. Providing you dont have over three hundred chickens.

deb
to be honest, im interested in each! i know its been a bit since i replied, i am sorry as life has gotten in the way at times, but yeah im looking for birds from eggs and meat, to show and bling. preferably all birds that can be slaughtered or raised like livestock so as to add a meaningful endgame to raising the birds.

Back
Top Bottom