What are cures for impacted crop?

DDRanch

Songster
12 Years
Feb 15, 2008
California
I think my 6 year old buff orphington has an impacted crop. Her crop Feels quite hard, about the size of a baseball. Last fall this same bird displayed the stretching and craning of head and neck, "standing tall" twisting, etc. The symptoms disappeared over the winter along with the hard crop but now the symptoms and the behavior are back.

Wish I could have a successful operation at home for her .....but I can't....so are their other remedies or cures? My vet does see chickens, so I can take her in but wanted your counsel first. Thank you so much.

She is activewith preening, dusting, eating, driniking and laying.....she just looks so uncomfortable in the last 2 days.
Anne

silkie chicken....I found some additional info on the mineral oil and how to administer so I will try that in the am. It calls for 2 eyedroppers mineral oil, olive oil, or canola oil, massage the crop to loosen the impaction up and then help the bird to pass it.....looks like it is regurgitated.

I also discovered on the site that long grass or greens that is not in small pieces can be the culprit.....my husband mowed our fields last week and I have been using some of the clippings in the pen because they smell so good and I thought it was a cheap source of straw like material........I hope I have not done harm....no one else seems affected if this is the reason......

I appreciate your responses silkie chicken and your knowledge. I will let you know how it works out.
Thank you.
Anne

Back
Top Bottom