What are good supplements or treats for a hen that needs a boost?

viggo63

Songster
Apr 30, 2020
I have a one-year-old leghorn hen, Gumby. She had severe wry neck as a hatchling and didn't get treated until she was about a week old. She overcame the wry neck with Poultry Cell given by eyedropper for several weeks, but she is stunted, has balance and strength issues and has developed a circulatory issue (I think?) that turns the far edges of her comb dark purple as the day progresses. The wry neck recurred briefly when the fresh grass went away last fall. I treated her again with the poultry cell and gave her Vitamin E-rich treats. In spite of all this, she is as sweet as pie and has blessed me with a big egg every day for the past 8 months!

I fear that she does not have a long life expectancy due to her issues, so I want to find a good treat or supplement for her that can boost her nutrition and maybe help her live longer. Right now, she gets Naturewise 18% All Flock, free choice oyster shell, small amount of scratch grains and dried mealworms every day. She forages in grass and weeds all day and gets occasional fruit and veggies. I also give her Vit E softgels most days. I know the Poultry Cell is a great source of vitamins for her, but she absolutely hates the taste and smell of it. I've tried disguising it in other things and even putting it in empty gelcaps, but she refuses to touch it.

I've given her hemp seeds, sardines, turnip greens, all of which are high in Vit. E. What other items are there available that might help her overall condition?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_0042.JPG
    IMG_0042.JPG
    532.1 KB · Views: 12
Sounds like you are doing what you can.

You can overdo vitamins, especially E, so you may want to cut that back to once a week.

Poultry Cell is very good - it can be direct dosed orally at a rate of 1cc per 3 pounds of weight - this would be an option instead of trying to hide it in her food, just dose her once a week.

I don't see anything obvious you can do to improve the Nutrition, nor, so long after the bird's development, is any vitamin regimen likely to be more than a maintenance measure (as opposed to a corrective).

That said, vitamin E uptake is improved by selenium - have you considered making a sprouting tray with green leavies? Spinach, Broccoli, Brussels are all good sources of selenium (and other vitamins and minerals), and its an enhancement as well, more interesting then food in a dish and a potential attractant to tasty insects as well...

That said, vitamin E uptake is improved by selenium - have you considered making a sprouting tray with green leavies? Spinach, Broccoli, Brussels are all good sources of selenium (and other vitamins and minerals), and its an enhancement as well, more interesting then food in a dish and a potential attractant to tasty insects as well...
Great idea, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom