What are my chances of getting show quality

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by PineBurrowPeeps, Dec 29, 2008.

1. from a hatchery? Slim to none right?

My son who's 8 wants to show Seabrights and all I can picture is me having to buy like 100 of them to get anything remotely good enough... I'm having no luck locally.

2. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    You could probably buy 1000 from a hatchery and still not get a SQ one...sorry. [​IMG]

ETA: Although if it's just for FFA or something you could always give it a shot.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2008
  3. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    Your chances are VERY slim especially if you want Sebrights. I only ordered six, got 3 roos and 3 pullets, and maybe 1 of each sex is fairly nice.

Here are some pics of each roo just see get an idea:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry if their tails are a little ratty, these were taken a few weeks ago and they were losing a few. They've filled out a little more. Also, you might be in luck, the roos in the first and third pic are for sale, though you probably wouldn't get far in the show. These guys have faults, but I guess thats whats expected from hatchery quality.

Here is a pic of one of my pullets, I think I was lucky to get her:
    [​IMG]
    She does have a bit of "smutt" on her tail(specks of black) which is not favorable. OH almost forgot, I ordered these guys from Ideal Hatchery. [​IMG]

4. Thanks guys, I figured the chances were nill...

I'll keep looking.

5. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    You would surely have a MUCH better chance of a nice seabright from someone here who breeds SQ ones...or check eggbid.com.

It would be likely that you will have to spend about $50 or more for a nice pair...plus shipping unless they are close enough to pickup.

6. I expected that price wise. I was going to set aside $100 for him to get a pair. [​IMG] Hopefully I can find someone here and I will check eggbid, thanks!

7. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    You can try the Sebright club of america. There are couple phone numbers for contacting them. I haven't been able to find a website for them.

One number is on this site along with lots of pics.
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Sebr/BRKSebrights.html

You will have to scroll down to find it, but there is a different number on this site.
    http://www.poultryhelp.com/link-breedclubs.html

If you can find the right breeder, you may be able to get great birds at a low price. Especially for a young poultry lover.

Good luck,
    Matt

8. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    try ebay they have buff sebrights i had some and there absolutely gorgious they have others too.

9. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Are you in to hatching eggs? I got some nice seabrights last spring from hatching eggs.

10. briarpatchfarms

briarpatchfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Grayson, Ky
    i bought these last fall at a chicken trade in ohio they were exellent show quallity they died a couple of weeks ago they froze it crushed me im going to find that guy again in the spring and get another rooster and alot more hens.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by