What are the laying months for turkey hens?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Maryallison, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    My turkey hens haven't laid any eggs in about 2 months now. I was assuming it was bescause of the heat. I am getting worried that they are done for the year though and I won't get a chance to hatch any turkeys out! [​IMG] When do they stop laying? Oh...I am in Florida and it has been a super hot summer, most days are about 100 degrees!

2. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Quote:

3. Marshmallow Man

Marshmallow Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2010
    Ours started in April and are still laying 1 every other day. I heard that the usual season is Feb to April. I'm sure someone more experienced than me could give a better answer.

4. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    I can't say for sure for captive birds but I can tell you wild turkeys start in late April and will lay an egg a day until she has 8-15 eggs, the average being 12. From then on the hen will stay on her nest until they hatch in about 28 days.

5. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I believe some turkeys lay in the spring and dome sometimes lay another clutch in the fall ...

6. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    What kind of turkeys and how old are they? I bet when it cools off they will lay a few more but may be done til spring.

7. Shaun

Shaun Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    SW Central Michigan
    Ours laid this spring, then took a break over the hot summer and have started again. Don't give up hope!

8. Randy

Randy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    AR
    Ours usually start in April and lay until July or August then they are pretty much done for the year.

9. pookiegoldman

pookiegoldman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    Grand Isle, Louisiana
    My turkey, Pearl started laying 8 days ago, and she's been laying an egg a day (except for 1 day) ever since.

10. Corona~Barb

Corona~Barb Wing Shadow Farm Premium Member

Apr 12, 2008
    Roseburg, Oregon
    Mine have been laying since at least Feb and are still laying...it was 105 for several days last week. Last year, they laid eggs from Feb through Oct...

Corona~Barb

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by