What are the most fun and friendly breed of chickens as pets?

Quote:
You're killin' me Pink! ........no more chickens, no more chickens, no more chickens!

big_smile.png

The birds that have made the best pets for me are California Whites, Black Australorps, Production Reds, American Fighting Game, and Fighting Game crossed with leghorns.

Also, fantailed pigeons make good pets.....
big_smile.png

My Seramas definitely! My cochins are a close second and my OEGB's are a close third.

My Serama/Cochin crosses are the tamest chickens ever though!

While it is true that some breeds are more likely to be friendly, and you have good recommendations, I have read over and over of how much difference handling them and giving "treats" (when they're really young you can just use their feed) makes all the difference. There was a thread here recently how someone put their brooder on a table then cut holes in the side to make reaching in for care easy. The result was, the chicks weren't being reached for from above. This frightens them, as their instincts say, that is a bird of prey, I need to run and hide. By reaching from the side and handling them, the chickens became much tamer than this person's previous batch. When they are a little older, you will need to sit with them and let them come to you.

I wish I had read all this before I got my first ones. Mine are calm off the roost, and some will come up close where I can pet them, but they are not lap chickens. My friendliest are my Speckled Sussex, by far.

Though any chickens can be tame if you handle them there are just some breeds that are more prone to calm or flighty behavior than others.

My Sumatras are handraised and were handled from day one, but there is no force on earth, treat or otherwise will make them let you pet them.

I have several chickens that are very friendly and curious (if not snuggly all the time) but for pure entertainment and cuddliness I can't find anyone to beat my Narragansett turkey hen. She was raised in a pasture and I didn't get her until she was several months old but she is a lap turkey who will sunbathe with you in a lawn chair while occasionally fixing your hair. She also follows me all over the yard and talks to me. The other day she helped the phone guy fix the outside line. He was so excited he took a cell phone pic of her and sent it to his wife and co-workers (he said nobody would believe it without photos and nobody would ever be able to top it!)

We have mainly Polish and our Buff Polish and White Crested Black are lap chickens. They are underfoot and want to be held and petted. I had never imagined a chicken for a pet but they have managed to change my mind.

My RSL is by far the "tamest" of my flock.
tongue.png
She is very curious and comes running to us when we walk outside or when we pull in the driveway (we live in the sticks). She likes to be held and pet.

She's the Head Hen of the coop, other than my SilvDuckwing Bant Roo. Which brings me to my next question...the little bantam kinda rules the roost. My DOM roo is only 9 mos so he hasn't established his own territory yet. Will he ever?
fl.gif
Or will I have to get rid of the bantam first??
th.gif

They get along fine, but when eating or roosting or even walking around you can tell who's the boss. We got the DOM because my wife wants to try to hatch some chicks and the bantam tries lol but he just cant reach that far
lau.gif

Thanks for the input...

Back
Top Bottom