What are the options here?

Also a BYC poster from FL has posted pics of their multi run/multi coop operation. For shade and predator control I recall seeing these little shelters within the runs. Maybe 3 feet high, metal roof,open sides. Might be low cost/quick solution.

I thought about doing something within the run like that but it would be more if a hassle for access.

I figured if I did smaller sections it would be no different then someone doing a 6x15 run that didn't use concrete. That's why I would break it up into section. Section 1-2 would be some kind of reg roof, sections 3-4- and maybe 5 would be clear, then 6-7 would be regular.

Building it without anchored support is not wise. You are talking a 25 x 25 structure. You have netting now. Add a roof, and after the first high winds you are gonna have a chicken coop addition on your house. Just trying to be helpful, not critical.

The whole area is 25x25.

I am not building a roofing system for the whole area as one unit. I will be making it like I have multiple runs. Each "run" in the run will have its own support.

I do not even think it's possible to get enough support for a 25x25 run.

If you want to avoid digging the support posts into the ground, a slightly less ideal option would be to put them in concrete deck blocks/pier blocks with brackets. Like this...

pier_adj02.jpg

Like I said, less ideal than a permanent concrete footing deep in the ground. If you dug these down so the soil level is even with the metal bracket, even better.

My main concern is the same one others have mentioned regarding your roof acting like a sail and sailing your new structure into your house or a neighbors yard. But if each section is smaller, maybe these footers would be heavy enough to prevent a flying coop/run.

The whole area is 25x25.

I am not building a roofing system for the whole area as one unit. I will be making it like I have multiple runs. Each "run" in the run will have its own support.

I do not even think it's possible to get enough support for a 25x25 run.
How big then?

How big then?

Each wall would be about 4-6 ft wide and go into the run about 8 ft. Each wall would have its own support system and then connect it together. So I would support at most 48 sq ft on its own.

It's hard to explain but I think it would work. I checked out the run at the feed store that they built for the chickens there. I explained what I was thinking and the guy who built that run thinks it would work.

Each wall would be about 4-6 ft wide and go into the run about 8 ft. Each wall would have its own support system and then connect it together. So I would support at most 48 sq ft on its own.

It's hard to explain but I think it would work. I checked out the run at the feed store that they built for the chickens there. I explained what I was thinking and the guy who built that run thinks it would work.
So a roof that covers an area 4-6' x 8'...several of them?
Got a pic of the feed store run?

So a roof that covers an area 4-6' x 8'...several of them?
Got a pic of the feed store run?

Yes several of them. So I would make a wall panel that is about 4-6 ft long and then run a 2x4 8 ft into the run and thenhave a support 2x4, then run the same thing from the other side connecting those from different angles would create more of a 4x4 then a 2x4. I wish I could draw but that would be a nightmare lol.

I did not get a picture of the run, I can next time I'm there. It's just a basic run, about 15 ft long and 4 ft wide with a lean to roof(slants one way--is that what they are called?) it was wrapped in plastic so harder to see, but the idea in my head wasn't much different. I will have to go back and look at the roof again once I'm ready.

I think I get what you mean...
....but you have no structure to connect any of this to, it will be free standing, correct?

You have to consider, if there was a way to make a safe sturdy structure that size very cheap we would all be doing it. I'ts hard to get something that substantial that will support weight and be predator proof going the super cheap route. Really the posts, wood, concrete for the run would be the cheapest part. That stuff is not that expensive. Its your hardware cloth roof panels etc that are going to cost the most.

Back
Top Bottom