what are the quietest breeds of ducks?

frizzleman74

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 10, 2010
Fairfield County
im getting backyard ducks but i dont know what breeds i should get. But i would like them to have a great and friendly temperament and i NEED them to be relatively quiet. I thinking of getting 2 drakes since their quack is raspy! please help, thanks!

From what I have read, Muscovies are the quietest. They are almost mute. The drakes make a "hiss" and the ducks make a weak quack.

Yes, if your number one goal is for them to be quiet, I would suggest Muscovys. I have 2 hens and one drake. They are all VERY quiet. The only noise they make is a small hissing sound when they get excited. No quacking at all! They have great personalities too. If you are around them a lot and get them used to you, they will come up to you and eat out of your hand! They can be very tame.

If you do not like the look of muscovies, I think I have read that cayuga ducks are very quiet. I have not had any myself though, so I can't confirm that.

Pekins are a definate no. Not sure about Rouens, maybe someone else here can tell you. Welsh Harlequins are usually quiet, though some people on here have loud WHs. If you want a duck that's sure to be quiet, the only ones to get are 'Scovies.

Last edited:
Roens are as loud as pekin. The scovy are the sweetest quietest ducks you can get IMO
smile.png

Our Rouens aren't quiet, the Saxony's aren't too bad but their babies yet and about 1/2 the Cayuga's are quiet(babies too). The goslings make a racket even while eating and drinking. Their only quiet when sleeping .
lau.gif

I have all of the above and then some. My skovies and cayugas are all quiet. If you want something small, sweet and quiet, call ducks are fantastic!! Mine all love to be held too!! My Pekins and Swedish are the worst for noise! Mallards are middle of the line.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom