1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what are the quietest breeds of ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by frizzleman74, Jun 5, 2011.

1. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    im getting backyard ducks but i dont know what breeds i should get. But i would like them to have a great and friendly temperament and i NEED them to be relatively quiet. I thinking of getting 2 drakes since their quack is raspy! please help, thanks!

2. tink0602

tink0602 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    From what I have read, Muscovies are the quietest. They are almost mute. The drakes make a "hiss" and the ducks make a weak quack.

3. PrinceSandwich

PrinceSandwich Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 11, 2009
    Alberta, Canada
    Quote:I agree

4. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    Yes, if your number one goal is for them to be quiet, I would suggest Muscovys. I have 2 hens and one drake. They are all VERY quiet. The only noise they make is a small hissing sound when they get excited. No quacking at all! They have great personalities too. If you are around them a lot and get them used to you, they will come up to you and eat out of your hand! They can be very tame.

5. suenotto

suenotto Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2010
    Limeport
    If you do not like the look of muscovies, I think I have read that cayuga ducks are very quiet. I have not had any myself though, so I can't confirm that.

6. frizzleman74

frizzleman74 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Fairfield County
    i dont think i like the look of muscovies so what about like pekins, welsh harlequins, and rouens?...

7. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Pekins are a definate no. Not sure about Rouens, maybe someone else here can tell you. Welsh Harlequins are usually quiet, though some people on here have loud WHs. If you want a duck that's sure to be quiet, the only ones to get are 'Scovies.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  8. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Roens are as loud as pekin. The scovy are the sweetest quietest ducks you can get IMO [​IMG]

9. DaftaboutDucks

DaftaboutDucks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    Ontario
    Our Rouens aren't quiet, the Saxony's aren't too bad but their babies yet and about 1/2 the Cayuga's are quiet(babies too). The goslings make a racket even while eating and drinking. Their only quiet when sleeping .[​IMG]

10. keyt1969

keyt1969 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have all of the above and then some. My skovies and cayugas are all quiet. If you want something small, sweet and quiet, call ducks are fantastic!! Mine all love to be held too!! My Pekins and Swedish are the worst for noise! Mallards are middle of the line.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by