What are these chicks? Araucana?EE?JerseyGiant?

brodysam

Songster
10 Years
May 7, 2009
I bought three chicks today. The man was very nice and told me that they are:

black chick- black Georgia giant
2 other chicks- anacondas

I am not familiar with either one of these breeds so I'm wondering if the black chick is a black Jersey giant and the other two are EE's or araucanas. I tried to get decent pictures. The darker brown chick has stripes like the lighter one, they just don't show up as well.

I also bought a rooster that is supposed to be a purebred araucana. He does not have a tail but I don't know what color he is. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
blackchick.jpg

lightbrownchick.jpg

lightchicken.jpg

rooster.jpg

The first chick is a Jersey Giant.

The second and third chick are Easter Eggers - Araucanas are very rare, not easy to obtain, and don't have muffs/beard or green legs.

The last rooster is actually, to my surprise, a real Araucana. He's an AOV color though (all other variety) and not recognized, I can't even really put a name on it except "orange."

Thanks! That's kind of what I figured but I wanted more expert advice. I was surprised to find the rooster and since I don't show I don't mind his unusual coloring. I do have one more question. He is 18 months old and still a bit smaller than my BCM hen and golden comet hen. Does this mean he is a bantam? He wasn't as small as the other bantams that were also for sale, kind of in the middle of bantam and LF size.

Quote:
Araucanas are naturally a little smaller than others. . . Have you weighed him before? That would really help.
smile.png
Otherwise, he looks like a bantam. I find there are more bantam Araucana breeders than LF breeders out there.

Also, the nice thing about Araucanas is that even though he's an unrecognized color, you can still show him as an AOV Araucana. . . But I don't know about his tufts, the picture doesn't show them well, and his legs are the wrong color.

I haven't tried to weigh him. I may try that tomorrow if I can figure out how. I'll get better pictures too.

Back
Top Bottom