What are these??? maybe 2-3 breeds inc.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ESofVA, May 28, 2012.

1. ESofVA

ESofVA Songster

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    #20 is supposed to be an Australorp. Of course, most of what I bought is not what I bought! OK...but I did learn where I can and cannot buy chickens and get what I wanted!
    So, of these 4 birds:
    # 12 roo??? Breed?
    # 19 hen?? Breed?
    # 20 Australorp roo??
    # 21 hen? Breed?

To me, 12, 19, and 21 appear to be the same breed. Their feet actually look more like those shown in # 21.
    The supposed Australorp has a few white flight feathers ...do they ever have those? I thought every feather in their wings was black??

Please excuse the ruffled feathers!! My young granddaughter was so wonderful to catch the chicks so I could take the pics!!

I can only keep around 10 (hubby had a supprise for me when I returned from 2 weeks at my daughters helping them with the new baby. Another chicken house!!!! Yippeeee....it is supposed to come tomorrow. So...that gives me some more room for wintering chickens in. I only want one rooster. I have Salmon Faverolle chicks coming along with Dark Cornish.
    Some of the chickens are I already have are supposed to be Dark Cornish but I don't know. I want to try to ID the ones I don't know that I have some interest in keeping.
    All roos but 1 will have to go. All but 9 +/- hens have to go. I currently have 24 chickens. I have 5 Faverolles, 10 Cornish and 15 bantams coming,....so that makes a total of 54 birds. Out of that many birds, I shoukld coome up with a nicely colored, useable, mixed flock.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. ESofVA

ESofVA Songster

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    Could any of these be the dark cornish? I have never seen any except in pictures so really don't know.

3. ESofVA

ESofVA Songster

May 4, 2012
    Keller, VA
    Just checked the combs...#19 and #21 have the same type comb. The comb on # 12 is different. Maybe 19 and 21 are the same breed?

4. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Songster

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    #12, #19, #21 are Dark Cornish, #20 looks like an Australorp.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: