What are these sores on my chickens waddle and comb?

BigKitty09

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 18, 2011
Rolling Hills Estates, Ca
Recently for the past few days or so I've noticed two of my chickens have this weird sore-type thing on their waddle and comb. The white leghorn seems to have it the worst but it looks like it is slowly creeping up on my blue andalusian as well. They seem to be walking around foraging as usual. They are cage free, and we live in a country-like suburb. What is it and how do I get rid of it?
Sorry they are sideways I had the hardest time trying to rotate them, then save them appropriately to upload onto here so i just gave up.
96560_toulousse.jpg

96560_marie3.jpg

96560_marie2.jpg

96560_maire.jpg

Last edited:
It might be the dry form of avian pox which my Delaware is just coming out of. From my research, there are no other symptoms besides a possible drop in egg production. There is no treatment and should clear up on its own in about 3 weeks. But you should clean the bumps with iodine. Good luck. If you'd like to see my thread, here it is: www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=562743

Just
in case, you might also want to check your birds for parasites because that can also result in spots.

Since they are at the edges of the waddles and combs, and it appears that the comb is ripped pretty good in that pic, I am going to venture to guess those are scuffle inures.

I am dealing with the same issue right now. Already lost one roo to the wet version of the pox. I ordered the vaccine for the youngins and anyone not showing symptoms yet, so they will be ready to face the world here in a few weeks.

I have been using iodine on the spots and it has already made a big difference!

Also putting vitamins and electrolytes in the waterers to help them stay healthy while they fight it off. Being a viral thing, you can only let it work it's way through naturally.

Good luck.

Yea, I was thinking peck marks too. My BO is at the bottom of the pecking order and has had her share of nips to her comb which look similar to yours. They take longer to heal than I would think they should. But don't seem to cause any discomfort.

Back
Top Bottom