What are these?????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by PeuAPeu, Nov 18, 2012.

1. PeuAPeu

PeuAPeu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Alabama
    These two chicks are from my McMurray mixed lot. Of course it is hard to tell exactly what all of them are, but I noticed one distinct black one that is now feathering out from its's fluff and there are some red feathers coming through with the black. My first thought was Black Copper Maran, but I don't even see that listed on the McMurray site. What do you think? This other light colored one I am assuming is an Easter Egger but it looks different than the others. My only other single one that has no match I think is a Rhode Island Red, but I have no picture. I just would like an opinion on these two.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

The black one has coloring like a black star pullet, and the white one's definitely an EE (in my experience black and white EE's are usually cockerels, though there are also B+W pullets).

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    they all kinda look like cockerels right now

4. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA

I agree.. Quite the comb and thick legs on the black one and the EE's colouring and comb on the white one.

5. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

What breed does the black one look like to you? I keep thinking it must be a cross, because Australorps don't have the brown, and if it's a cockerel it can't be a black star. Though it's from McMurray, so unlikely to be a mix.

6. sommer chic

sommer chic Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2012
    Are they bantam? If they are the golden lace whyendotes. If they are not then they are astrolorps. ( sorry about my spelling )

7. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    they kinda remind me of black copper marans. cant be wyandottes they have single combs instead of rose combs

8. PeuAPeu

PeuAPeu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    Alabama
    I had Australorps before and none of them had red. I also have had Black Jersey Giants......they also do not look like that. Hmmm......and no they are also not bantams. In fact this one is bigger than some of my others from the same order. I assumed it was a cockerel. Its feet and legs look pretty thick. I like the surprise. :) As long as I have some hens in there too then I don't mind. I was expecting to loe at least half of the bunch as roosters anyway. My order total was 38 with the extras. Only one hs perished but not from disease. My bf was catchnig them with a net and I think he accidentally broke ones neck :( I said "Baby, they are still tiny and fragile, you have to be gentle" It doesn't take much to injure the tiny little ones.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  9. BlueCamas

BlueCamas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2011
    Milwaukie, Oregon
    I'd say you have an Easter Egger cockerel and a Black Copper Marans cockerel.

10. jendodd79

jendodd79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2012
    How old are they? The black one looks like my Black Copper Marans

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by