What are they going for here? (POSSIBLE SCAM)

theredroosta

Songster
10 Years
Oct 10, 2009
Taken from

http://www.non-hybrid-seeds.com/anhs/whyusenonhybridseeds.html

Q: Why should I use non-hybrid (open pollinated) rather than hybrid seeds?

A:

Better Nutrition – Commercial Produce lacks nutrition, research has shown.
Sustainable Gardening - Saving Seeds is only possible with open-pollinated seeds
Economic Security – In recessions and depressions, FOOD IS ECONOMIC SECURITY
Food Supply Independence – If food supplies are challenged, home gardening is freedom.
Crop Diversity – Participate in saving the original strains from extinction
Investment Hedge – Seeds are an excellent alternative investment to paper money, stocks and securities, even gold if the markets were to dive long-term.

These reasons all seem really ridiculous, especially the last one.

1. This promotes healthy home produce, not non-hybrids
2. I don't even know what to say for this one. I don't know if Saving Seeds is a program of some sort or just a typo.
3. Still, nothing promoting non-hybrid seeds. And I'm pretty sure your backyard garden won't last you very long if you were in that sort of situation.
4. Same as 3 but differently phrased.
5. This one is just trying to sucker in people who feel bad for plant species but this makes it sounds worse than it really is. Original strains doesn't mean anything, all domesticated and non-domesticated produce are hybrids. Open pollination is just hybridization that isn't directed by humans, this just creates usually less viable and weaker strains than commercial grade hybrids.
6. Good thing I have all these seeds in case the economy plummets! STILL doesn't promote non-hybrid seeds.

I don't know if they charge more or roughly the same as commercial hybrids for "non-hybrid seeds" but if they are they are running a complete sham.

Look at it this way:

Usually weaker strains.
Usually less productive strains.
Less work for them, they just grow plants and allow them to pollinated openly, meanwhile companies and geneticists work on developing stronger more productive plants by closed polination.
Probably costs more.
Are not any more healthy than your average produce seeds.
False claims.
Fake BS that is supposed to appeal to your emotions.

Thoughts?​

"Economic Security"??
ep.gif

Better Nutrition – Commercial Produce lacks nutrition, research has shown.

It's true... A tomato grown in a commercial greenhouse or whatever and "protected" with pesticides isn't going to be as healthy and nutricious as one grown in your backyard.

Sustainable Gardening - Saving Seeds is only possible with open-pollinated seeds

They're serious! A hybrid seed cannot be saved for it to reproduce, or if it can, it will not breed true. Only the non-hybrid seeds will breed true. So you can save seeds from N-H plants for next year -- another aspect of the economic security. If you have them you don't have to buy seeds.

Economic security, yes. Food will be a security if there is a recession and one can't afford to buy food. If you grow your own you won't have to worry. Seriously. There are lots of reasons to get non-hybrid seeds, one other being that they are not genetically modified. (Who wants monster corn?) They can and are using the same techniques of GMO on insects, and if they can do it to insects, what's to stop them from doing it on the human stem cells?

Food Supply Independence – If food supplies are challenged, home gardening is freedom.

Most of the time. I heard a story where a lady planted tomatoes in her front yard and had to pay a fine because the town or something didn't want them there. But I'd rather have a home garden when the food supplies are challenged.

Yeah. There are strains going extinct! Lots of them.

Investment Hedge – Seeds are an excellent alternative investment to paper money, stocks and securities, even gold if the markets were to dive long-term.

There is always the possibility that the food markets will crash, and if you have non-hybrid seeds, they're a virtual goldmine.

No, it's not a scam. It's all real. We bought almost all our seeds this year as rare/non-hybrid/non-GMO. Ever heard of the Wapsie Valley corn? Painted Mountain? Katja tomatoes? They're rare. Non-GMO. Non-hybrid. We are going to save the seeds for the future.​

there are 3 seed banks in the world where all plant seeds are stored in case a dooms day scenario happens. most vegetable seeds you buy are OP. They may not be organic, which is a word the US government patented and make a ton of money off of. But you need bees to polinate your other veggies or they will not grow. Now they do cross different starins to get a bigger veggie or fruit, Just like with chickens.
If you grow pumpkins, watermelons, squash, cucumbers in the same area and save the seeds. You will have hybreds the next year. A bee does not know the difference between a squash plant and a cucumber and they can all cross polinate.

so would that be a hybred that is unhealthy and destroying our future or just nature?

Quote:
It's true... A tomato grown in a commercial greenhouse or whatever and "protected" with pesticides isn't going to be as healthy and nutricious as one grown in your backyard.

They're serious! A hybrid seed cannot be saved for it to reproduce, or if it can, it will not breed true. Only the non-hybrid seeds will breed true. So you can save seeds from N-H plants for next year -- another aspect of the economic security. If you have them you don't have to buy seeds.

Economic security, yes. Food will be a security if there is a recession and one can't afford to buy food. If you grow your own you won't have to worry. Seriously. There are lots of reasons to get non-hybrid seeds, one other being that they are not genetically modified. (Who wants monster corn?) They can and are using the same techniques of GMO on insects, and if they can do it to insects, what's to stop them from doing it on the human stem cells?

Most of the time. I heard a story where a lady planted tomatoes in her front yard and had to pay a fine because the town or something didn't want them there. But I'd rather have a home garden when the food supplies are challenged.

There is always the possibility that the food markets will crash, and if you have non-hybrid seeds, they're a virtual goldmine.

No, it's not a scam. It's all real. We bought almost all our seeds this year as rare/non-hybrid/non-GMO. Ever heard of the Wapsie Valley corn? Painted Mountain? Katja tomatoes? They're rare. Non-GMO. Non-hybrid. We are going to save the seeds for the future.​

Their "non-hybrids" are just open pollinated hybrids. They get several varieties of the same species of plant and allow free pollination, they are STILL and always will be hybrids.

Better nutrition = Nothing to do with if they are hybrids or not. There is no evidence any where that suggest HYBRIDS are any any less healthy than open-pollinated hybrids or "non-hybrids".

Saving seeds? They are all hybrids! you aren't saving anything except for space in your wallet.

Food security and backyard gardening has nothing to do with the seeds being hybrids or not. In fact commercial grade hybrids will consistently out produce open pollinated hybrids. So in reality hybrid seeds are the way to go if you are in this situation!

Crop diversity, this is an oxymoron. You buy seeds that breed true throughout generations, where's the diversity? Species aren't being wiped out, just varieties being changed. You have more variety in hybrids than you ever will in non hybrids!

Investment hedge? If you suddenly need food what are you going to do with seeds? Plant them? An unstable economy isn't waiting for your tomatoes to ripe if it's to plummet!​

Quote:
Exactly, there is no harm in hybrid seeds and these people are trying to trick others into buying their crap. It isn't right

Quote:

Yes to all. You don't have to buy those seeds, when you see the ,like, 10 seed packs for a $1 they will most likely not be a hybrid (read the label)...remember it is always better prepare of the worst and pray for the best. Everyone should have some food storage on hand.
old.gif

X2 You do not have to buy those seeds. You can buy seeds on sale like 10 packs for a $1 those are more than likely to be non-hybrid seed (read the label) Remember it is better to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best. everyone should have some food storage.​

Last edited:
I agree with Lothiriel. OP (open pollinated) plants are not hybrids. Hybrids are the offspring of 2 distinct parent plants; seeds from a hybrid will result in a plant that has unpredictable traits, it will not be just like that original hybrid. OP vegetables and fruits have often been passed down from generation to generation and have been around for hundreds of years.

Ever notice hybrid grocery store produce tastes like cardboard? Conventional ag produces plants for volume, not flavor. There is a place for hybrids, but our heritage is in OP plants.

I agree with what others have said, you seem snarky about others reasons for doing so, no one is holding you hostage until you buy some!
I have a non-hybrid hermetically sealed seeds for many of the reasons mentioned. Our past generations saved seeds and kept heirloom varieties alive because all seeds used to be this way, now a lot of farmers are planting GMO crops which often have problems reproducing to the parent strain unlike heirlooms and non hybrid seeds that can reproduce year after year.
I don't feel the argument is really about them being hybrid for me it is about being NON GMO which will become scarce if certain companies have their way.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom