What are y’all doing for the hurricane?

Both. I just wanted a open thread for everyone to share this plans. We are already out of water and Walmart is empty.
Water can definitely be a problem, especially if you're sheltering in place. We live in an area that gets frequent ice storms in winter and nasty thunder storms all summer, so we've learned to anticipate power outages. Here are some of our tried-and-true storm prep practices:

"Bottle" your own water for bathing and toilet flushing. Large containers, like five-gallon buckets, work well. If you can, bleach them first, do it. That way, you can use the water for cooking, as well. Fill them from your bathtub, not the hose. While you're at it, fill the bathtub.

We fill an old baby tub for the dogs' and cats' drinking water. The cats aren't too thrilled about sharing their "water bowl" with the bigger beasties, but it guarantees them all a two-to-three day water supply.

Fill some gallon jugs with water. Freeze them solid and put them in the fridge and freezer. It's an old Scouting trick for keeping coolers cold and providing cook-water as it thaws. As long as you don't keep opening the doors, your appliances become oversized coolers.

Speaking of coolers, put anything you expect to need frequently in a cooler, not in your fridge. The less frequently you open the doors to standard kitchen appliances, the longer the food inside will last.

FYI - Milk and orange juice in plastic or paper cartons (not glass) freeze well, so you can put those in the freezer, too. Remember that liquids expand as they freeze, so you'll need to leave the lids off until they're frozen, or the seals will burst.

Personally, hoping for a day off work. For the chickens, I'll stop at the nursery tomorrow for pine straw to keep their feet out of the mud (last projection was 5-7" rain.

Irma knocked my power out for a week.
That's a lot of rain! If you can, put some higher spots to your run, too. A couple of logs, a kiddie chair, a child's picnic table, a bench, an overturned milk crate, anything that lets them sit higher than the mud.
Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom