what are y'all saving from the wild to deal with coming crisis?

Pics
I know this is not the “coming crisis” this thread is referring to, but I so hope and pray all our fellow BYCers dealing with all this rain/flooding are able to keep themselves and their flock(s) safe.

Thoughts and prayers are with you and yours!

You know, there are all sorts of crises. The major earthquakes in California, the flooding and now the impending tropical storm going through the Gulf states. These are all crises and worthy of inclusion in this thread. These terrible events show us all that we are vulnerable to being caught up in a crisis at any time. Sh** happens, and if we are prepared, it won't be as bad as it could be. I wish the very best outcome for our friends and neighbors in these areas stricken with these natural disasters.

You know, there are all sorts of crises. The major earthquakes in California, the flooding and now the impending tropical storm going through the Gulf states. These are all crises and worthy of inclusion in this thread. These terrible events show us all that we are vulnerable to being caught up in a crisis at any time. Sh** happens, and if we are prepared, it won't be as bad as it could be. I wish the very best outcome for our friends and neighbors in these areas stricken with these natural disasters.
Yes, I totally agree. I should have also included the fires and earthquakes. However, I just got caught up in the news this morning about the pending flooding in the Gulf and in PA. I truly didn’t mean to shun anyone dealing with the myriad of tragic happenings (@Wee Farmer Sarah, I know you weren’t implying that I was, but your post made me think). We really need to be mindful of the tragedies people from all over face on any given day.

Prayers go up!

Yes, I totally agree. I should have also included the fires and earthquakes. However, I just got caught up in the news this morning about the pending flooding in the Gulf and in PA. I truly didn’t mean to shun anyone dealing with the myriad of tragic happenings (@Wee Farmer Sarah, I know you weren’t implying that I was, but your post made me think). We really need to be mindful of the tragedies people from all over face on any given day.

Prayers go up!
No worries. I was thinking more along the lines that many on this thread have been so consumed with impending doom and gloom from EM pulses, political upheaval and other miscellaneous man-made disasters that the challenges and crises that occur nearly everyday somewhere around the world and even at our own front door are very real, not really sinister, but something that happens and we should all be prepared for whatever that crisis could be and be as equipped to deal with it as well as we possibly can. But also be careful not to develop a "bunker mentality" that allows your fear of impending doom to freeze you out from the joys of every day living. :old:wee

In a SHTF type situation, I'd try to maintain 6 hens and 2 cocks ,"an heir and a spare". 2 separate and extremely secure pens, perhaps even housed in the enclosed porch. In a disaster meat and eggs would be a huge help and six hens would provide 2 eggs a day for each of my family. The roosters may be a surprise choice. But if you lose all your roosters, once your hens die you are out of luck.

I'd give the dog mercy with a quick shot in his sleep. No way a pet dog is going to survive an apocalyptic situation without being a huge burden

The goats I'd eat because they'd just starve anyway

Cats can support themselves better than most humans, so I'd leave them to it and they'd likely outlive us all

In a SHTF type situation, I'd try to maintain 6 hens and 2 cocks ,"an heir and a spare". 2 separate and extremely secure pens, perhaps even housed in the enclosed porch. In a disaster meat and eggs would be a huge help and six hens would provide 2 eggs a day for each of my family. The roosters may be a surprise choice. But if you lose all your roosters, once your hens die you are out of luck.

I appreciate your thinking. I don’t have a rooster, but I have neighbors with chickens and I would hope to score one or bring one down for some mating. But if we were going to get meat, might start with more than six.

But I only have four now, all pullets. None are experienced
broodies, of course. But they are BOs and a Black Australorp, soninhave a chance at getting a broody. I worry about feeding them in the winter, in Vermont. Should stock up on feed and seeds for feed.

I appreciate your thinking. I don’t have a rooster, but I have neighbors with chickens and I would hope to score one or bring one down for some mating. But if we were going to get meat, might start with more than six.

But I only have four now, all pullets. None are experienced
broodies, of course. But they are BOs and a Black Australorp, soninhave a chance at getting a broody. I worry about feeding them in the winter, in Vermont. Should stock up on feed and seeds for feed.
Game breeds will brood fairly dependably, just show them a pile of eggs and they sit. They're also compact and efficient little things.
I'd probably start a bug farm and worm farm in plastic bins in the basement and one of those stackable fodder tray garden things. Those would be pretty dependable and easy feed for chickens. We're in Iowa and the winters are pretty horrible here too

Last edited:
Game breeds will brood fairly dependably, just show them a pile of eggs and they sit. They're also compact and efficient little things.
I'd probably start a bug farm and work farm in plastic bins in the basement and one of those stackable fodder tray garden things. Those would be pretty dependable and easy feed for chickens. We're in Iowa and the winters are pretty horrible here too

Can you imagine figuring out the bug/worm farming with no internet? And the other million things we will need to know? I have begun gathering some books on topics we will need. My first is on edible plants. I have a few older books on that topic somewhere.

And more chickens. Stockpiling some food, matches, seed, feed, candles, firewood ... and we have an untapped spring. Water will stop in the house when the well pump no longer has any power.

I can see how folks get carried away with this stuff.

Can you imagine figuring out the bug/worm farming with no internet? And the other million things we will need to know? I have begun gathering some books on topics we will need. My first is on edible plants. I have a few older books on that topic somewhere.

And more chickens. Stockpiling some food, matches, seed, feed, candles, firewood ... and we have an untapped spring. Water will stop in the house when the well pump no longer has any power.

I can see how folks get carried away with this stuff.
Exactly. I do have a "preppers book" that covers the bug farm as poultry food. I've also got a US Army survival manual that has a lot of helpful stuff in it. I bought those and some other things years ago when "The Walking Dead" show got me all OCD about the apocalypse lol

Back
Top Bottom