what are y'all saving from the wild to deal with coming crisis?

Pics
FWIW, the scientific community extends beyond professional organizations. This is the most scientifically educated populace in the history of mankind. Consequently, there are many people outside the "halls of science" who are well qualified to examine the practices of professional scientists to judge if their their methods conform to the ideals of science. Sadly, in many cases they don't.

Indoctrination is a powerful drug.
The dumber people are, the easier they are to dupe.
It's pointless to try and educate them.
They cling to their ignorance like a magnet to a refrigerator.

And my answer is, we have a couple of little "wildflower" gardens where we let nature take its course. I'm not as knowledgeable about native plants yet as I'd like to be, since I am not a native myself, but I check out the Missouri Conservationist magazine we get monthly and try to learn new things all the time. We don't use chemicals on the yard or garden, or even in the house much, as I'm very sensitive to them, and are very aware of the needs of pollinators, especially bees. So we're not particularly into long-term storage, but just try to be gentle users of the planet's resources, not wasteful, and help her to stay in balance. If that makes sense.

This thread has had to be reeled in several times. I would cordially invite those who want to debate climate change, renewable energy, and so forth create another thread and take it there.

Many of us are finding the thread about disaster (of whatever sort) preparedness thought-provoking and interesting. I was guilty of fanning the climate change flames earlier, but these political exchanges obscure the posts about foraging, food preservation, energy, water, and other skills for preparing for real disasters that do happen to us and our chickens. People want to discuss these topics (and whatever related issues I left out). Nothing wrong with debating the climate issues, but it’s making this thread unreadable for the folks discussing raising and finding enough food to eat and feed our chickens!

We all know that heated political discussions are not to everyone’s liking. Please create a new thread.

OK, well carry on and have a great life. I'll leave this with you to consider how unrealistic existing battery technology is for large-scale storage of electricity. Fresh off the press (today). A lot of knowledgeable people in the comments section.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/06...finitesimally-small-part-of-electrical-power/

This is non-science by people who dont understand what they are talking about, and a perfect example of why you have no idea what you are talking about. You are incapable of responding to a comment without constructing a strawman argument and throwing garbage science as support. You are utterly ignorant of this discussion and, to be blunt, part of the problem of this country. You should be ashamed of yourself. I will not reply to you or your trash again.

FWIW, the scientific community extends beyond professional organizations. This is the most scientifically educated populace in the history of mankind. Consequently, there are many people outside the "halls of science" who are well qualified to examine the practices of professional scientists to judge if their their methods conform to the ideals of science. Sadly, in many cases they don't.

Scientifically educated? You ignore the scientific process, ignore the math, ignore the reality in order to promote your agenda. You are utterly ignorant of reality and purely driven by political agenda. You disregard science that does not suit you and accept pure garbage that does.

You are shameful. Goodbye.

Political opinions aside.... could we get back to the OP? Which was... what are you saving from the wild ... ?
Several years ago, I started buying only heirloom seeds. I save seeds from dragon tongue beans, crookneck squash, pumpkins, peppers, cucumbers, ground cherries, tomatillos, and lettuce. I also plant and save garlic every year. Oh, and herbs! I like to dry them and add the dried herbs to the chicken's feed. If I had more space, I'd be inclined to try buckwheat, oats, a ton of peas, and the like for chicken feed.
I shamefully purchase hybrid cabbage seed as I have just not had good luck with any heirloom varieties.
I have a good sized garden, but probably what most would consider small. I grow a lot of raspberries, blueberries, and added strawberries this year. The currants are another big producer. The birds like them, which is good because I have a ton!
I'd like to save seed from albino and chioggia beets, and several carrot varieties, but, from what I understand, it's pretty tough to keep seeds pure with biennials. I don't have the space to properly do that.

Back
Top Bottom