What are you baking now?

ETA: @ luvchicks8

Sounds really good....can you double this and put in a real spring form pan or is one batch enough for this and I will make my own crust. What is the purpose of taking a cup of batter out then re-adding it later? Just wondering if there is a reason.

I though I quoted you but I just seen it did not do it.

Last edited:
I'm baking a double batch of what hopefully will turn into pear butter. I don't want to do the "stand over the batch on the cook top and don't let it scorch." I thought a slow bake would gradually reduce the mixture to a thick, can-able butter. I chopped up pears coarsely with their skins, cores and seeds, stems and so on, stewed them about 30 minutes and then put them through my Foley food mill. Being pears, the pulp was very juicy, so after adding sugars and spices and a pinch of salt, I'm expecting an all-nighter, checking on the mix and stirring it occasionally. This is all new to me, so I'm hoping for a rich thick pear butter by morning. ~G

So wish my husband was home so I could bake something. My waistline can not justify eating a whole pie or loaf of bread. May be I'll bake something and share with my neighbor - that Pumpkin cheesecake is really calling my name.

Sandee

Quote:
Thank you Sandee, I'm going to have to invest in some of the clay cookware. I've wanted to for a while but have not got around to it. I need to get at least a good pizza stone so I can get my enthusiasm up to making pizza sauce again. Next yr I have many plans for our garden tomatoes lol.
I'm going to mark that link so I can make the bread.. Is there anything better than fresh hot homemade bread and ohhhhh that fresh churned butter with homemade jelly... I really don't understand why I have too much around the mid drift lol
Shoot, I've still got Elderberries in the freezer for Elderberry jelly that I've not gotten made...

Dutch oven cobbler...
Ya know, it's so hard to give proper measurements as I don't measure most of the time I cook (unless going by recipe for first time).
But, I'll tell you best I can
smile.png

I just sliced up some nice sweet/few tart peaches with deep flavor (squeeze half lemon over sections to keep from browning).. filled the dutch oven up about half way with them..mixed some sugar(maybe 1/2-1 cup depending on how sweet peaches are) and I'd say maybe 2 tablespoons of flour sprinkled over top..put a few dollops of butter (best is 'real butter' salted) and made a simple butter/shortning crust that I made strips out of, and weaved them on top of the peaches ...cook till it looks right.. 350 degrees (nice golden brown crust) I sometimes mix an egg white and brush the crust then sprinkle sugar grains on top..

This makes a nice juicy (not soggy) cobbler but is better to let cool just a tad and eat with a bit of homemade goat milk icecream...

Thanks for cobbler instructions - sounds really good. I'll have to try it since I have the last of our peachs sitting in the frig waiting for something to happen to them. Only problem I'm the only one to eat it and my waistline will be screaming - Just walk away from the cobbler!

We are so into this Dutch Oven bread that when my husband left to go to work out of town for 3 months we had to get a second Dutch oven so he could take one with him. He called last night and was excited that he found King Arthur Unbleached Bread flour at the local gourmet grocery. Never thought I hear him excited over flour!
lau.gif
He had used up almost all the flour that I sent with him and is going to make another loaf of bread for his boss. He is going to get better at this bred thing then myself which is great.

Also check any consignment or thrift stores in your area - sometimes you'll come across 4-6 quart clay bakers there. Years ago when we lived in the Napa Valley I would see them all the time at this one consignment shop but didn't have a use for them at that time. Need to go on a quest here and see if I can find the quart size.

Sandee

I've not been on much and had to go back I think 3 PAGES, WOW lots of awsome recipes going on here!!

Sandee, isn't it great when your spouse gets into cooking too!!! I just love that!!
I've still not tried the Dutch Oven bread but slowly I'm getting there. I really REALLY want to make it but I really want our goats fresh so that I can make some 'real' butter to go with it. Is that picky?? lol I had the idea of making some of our Chevre with our dehyd' tomatoes and basil in it for a flat bread topping...I wonder how that would do in the Dutch Oven..
I made Tacos last night. Made shells, sauce and of course everything else. The sauce turned out so good that I canned 2 pints of it for later. I should of made more lol

I'm now looking for a biscuit recipe for BIG FLUFFY nice tasting ones ... I love to make biscuits and gravy for everyone here but the recipe lacks in height and I feel they taste bland. Maybe I should of used the bacon grease in them..

I wonder how a Turkey in a clay pot would taste...hmmmmm.... lol

Quote:
Congrat's on getting married and the KITCHENAID!! That is my one dream machine!! lol I'll one day have one
wink.png

There are so very many things that you can do with it, you'll LOVE it!
Can't wait to see some of your recipes!!

Quote:
Thanks for cobbler instructions - sounds really good. I'll have to try it since I have the last of our peachs sitting in the frig waiting for something to happen to them. Only problem I'm the only one to eat it and my waistline will be screaming - Just walk away from the cobbler!

We are so into this Dutch Oven bread that when my husband left to go to work out of town for 3 months we had to get a second Dutch oven so he could take one with him. He called last night and was excited that he found King Arthur Unbleached Bread flour at the local gourmet grocery. Never thought I hear him excited over flour!
lau.gif
He had used up almost all the flour that I sent with him and is going to make another loaf of bread for his boss. He is going to get better at this bred thing then myself which is great.

Also check any consignment or thrift stores in your area - sometimes you'll come across 4-6 quart clay bakers there. Years ago when we lived in the Napa Valley I would see them all the time at this one consignment shop but didn't have a use for them at that time. Need to go on a quest here and see if I can find the quart size.

Sandee

I've not been on much and had to go back I think 3 PAGES, WOW lots of awsome recipes going on here!!

Sandee, isn't it great when your spouse gets into cooking too!!! I just love that!!
I've still not tried the Dutch Oven bread but slowly I'm getting there. I really REALLY want to make it but I really want our goats fresh so that I can make some 'real' butter to go with it. Is that picky?? lol I had the idea of making some of our Chevre with our dehyd' tomatoes and basil in it for a flat bread topping...I wonder how that would do in the Dutch Oven..
I made Tacos last night. Made shells, sauce and of course everything else. The sauce turned out so good that I canned 2 pints of it for later. I should of made more lol

I'm now looking for a biscuit recipe for BIG FLUFFY nice tasting ones ... I love to make biscuits and gravy for everyone here but the recipe lacks in height and I feel they taste bland. Maybe I should of used the bacon grease in them..

I wonder how a Turkey in a clay pot would taste...hmmmmm.... lol

I think Chevre and tomatoes in the bread would be great. We have made Jim Lahey's cheese bread and it was divine. We used Pecorino Cheese. Since you make your own Chevre I would probably drain it a bit longer and have it a little on the dry side since you add during the first raising. Might even round it in some flour to help keep it suspended. But even if it melts the flavor would be nie with the tomatoes. When you make it let me know how it works.

I also would think that a turkey would be good if you could get a clay baker big enough for one. Jim's book calls for 4-5 quart baker and not sure you get a turkey in one that size. I might have to break down and make some bread and share 1/2 loaf with my neighbor.

Sandee

Quote:
Well you could double it if you have to much make 2
tongue.png

Anyway you take out 1 cup of batter pour the rest into pie crust., then using the 1 cup set aside you add the 1/2 cup pumkin abd the spices mix that together and then spread it over the top of the white giving it a layer effect.

Sandee, I saw where you did a cheese class? We might have to start a Cheese thread so we can talk cheese lol I would love to hear about your cheese making. We've had goats for yrs now and I just love to make different cheeses and play with the ingredients. It makes such a difference having farm raised/fresh foods.

We'll not get to try the chevre' in our bread till spring when we will hopefully have goats kidding.

I'm still looking around here for the clay cookware.. wish me luck!!

Ok I'll see if I can blend this in with the thread as to keep it from straying off course.. lol

ummmmm......lol I'm not sure what I want to bake today.. any suggestions?? My mouth keep watering for the Dutch Oven bread....

Back
Top Bottom