What are you canning now - 2009 edition!

Well tomatoes are coming in and I'll probably be canning some of those, though I hadn't planned on it... Cucumbers have really slowed down here (we have had an unseasonably cool summer this year!), and even the peppers are slow. Supposed to be warm this week so look out! Pie pumpkins are starting to turn orange a bit, guess I'll be making pumpkin butter soon.

This week I need to do pickled pepper rings, pickled squash, and some pear preserves.

No pressure canner here either, so it's pickled, preserved, jellied, or tomatoed for me too.

edited because I can't type

Last edited:
DH cans (how I love that man!) and I freeze and dry - we are elbow deep in tomatoes right now, so tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, dried tomatoes, frozen tomatoes........we have also recently put up Ford Hook lima beans, corn and blackberries.

Quote:
Oh, Terrie, are you able to share that recipe of your mom's??????????
fl.gif
I am soaking my cukes right now and plan on making MY FIRST bread 'n butter pickles in the morning and would love to have a tried and true recipe. I am making mine from the Ball Book...so far
wink.png

Since we're talking pickles. I made my batch of B & B, stuffed the jar as full as I could get it. I still have an inch open on the bottom of the jar. Why do they float like that?
idunno.gif

when my pickles first came out of the canner, the ones that weren't packed as full/tight floated a bit. When they were just warm I shook the jars to mix the spices good in them and let them set. I see now where they have all settled to the bottom. Don't worry, I am sure they will settle.

Raw packed have a tendency to float at least for a while. Whereas hot packed (or cooked for a few minutes) has less of a tendency to float.

Back
Top Bottom