What are you canning now - 2009 edition!

I canned 10 quarts of dill pickles, 13 quarts of bread and butter pickles and 48 pints of pickled beets.

I learned that when a pot of beets boils over at the back of your stove, it looks like someone was shot up against the back wall. I am putting up a backsplash instead of trying to scrub that off the flat paint.
th.gif

Oh, Terrie, I would run to the paint store for sure after that one! I cannot even imagine a mess like that
lau.gif
let alone try to clean that one up
ep.gif
And you worked so hard with all those jars of goodies!!

Holy Smoke, Terrie, that's a bunch of canning! I have to remember that beet trick for getting a new backsplash. Bwwaaahh ha ha!

NotTheMomma ....we're getting $2.00/lb for snap beans at farmers markets here. Wish I could go to your neighbors, buy hers at $20/bushel....I'd a make a killing! Heck, I'd even pick them myself.
big_smile.png

I have tomatoes running out my ears. I'll be doing something with those and blueberries this afternoon. No kidding about the tomatoes. We took 125 lbs to the root cellar last night.

Hoping to have DH's help, but there's a ton of things for him to do outside too. Today's high is 98*, that'll probably drive DH indoors to the AC - then he'll help can.

Last edited:
We canned 12 pints of pickles (7 B&B 5 dill) 21 quarts and 14 pints of chicken soup Sat. Sunday was sweet corn 30 pints. Had to take the wife out for a drink. Next weekend we will bottle two cases of homebrew beer and extract honey.
Long weekends this time of year.

Quote:
Great idea! Look forward to getting even more ideas off this post as well as others.
As I read through other posts was interesting to see that some people's gardens are just starting and our summer garden is ending and we are planting seeds for winter garden.

Nothing to post right now for canning but later this week for sure. How's the thumb? Are you back to full throttle canning?

Sandee

Lots of canning going on, I see!

I managed to get the beet blow back off the wall behind my stove. It doesn't look like a murder scene there anymore.
lol.png

Tomorrow I am trading a couple jars of beets, a couple quarts of pickles and some grape jam for as many apples I care to pick.

Applesauce here we come!

My lovely wife, just bought me a pressure canner for our anniversary. I've been wanting one, but I think she just likes to see a man work to be honest. So I'll be doing corn and green beans here soon.

Back
Top Bottom