What are you canning now?

Going to brag a little bit. I've been using Pomona Pectin in more & more of the jams & jellies I sell at a farmers market. They folks at Pomona are so helpful in helping me convert my recipes to Pomona. In one email to them, I mentioned that I sell my jams & jellies. I got a response asking me if I wanted to be interviewed for their monthly newsletter. Of course, I said yes. The article came out thhis month. Here's a link:

http://www.pomonapectin.com/jam-notes/jam-spot-jos-jellies-like-hot/

That's wonderful...good advertisement for you and them!
thumbsup.gif

Ok so this doesn't quite fit into canning but fits more under that than baking.

Last year we made ginger beer. You ferment it then add lemon juice and water, bottle (I used plastic beer bottling bottles) leave for a week and it fizzes. Well what I'm wondering is if instead of just adding the lemon juice and water, if I could add the various fruit juices, tea and sugar water that I normally add ginger beer to to make our punch and bottle that instead to give us a heap of bottles of fizzy punch that everyone loves rather than just ginger beer only two love?

Can you think of a reason adding more fruit (orange, pineapple, apricot) juice or the tea or the sugar would make it go off any different to just adding lemon juice?

Last edited:
I would have to get out my wine making book. seems to me, the lemon is not just for taste but to keep it from oxidizing and turning brown. You can make sodas the same way as ginger beer.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/fermenting/brew-soda-at-home-zmaz04djzsel.aspx

There is a pizza place in a nearby college town that makes all of their own sodas. Their ginger is by far the best, but the cola and rootbeer are great too.

This has a section on homemade sodas. If you are at all interested in making mead or wine, this is the book to have. I have just about worn mine out.

51mW10kT%2BgL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I would have to get out my wine making book. seems to me, the lemon is not just for taste but to keep it from oxidizing and turning brown. You can make sodas the same way as ginger beer.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-food/fermenting/brew-soda-at-home-zmaz04djzsel.aspx

There is a pizza place in a nearby college town that makes all of their own sodas. Their ginger is by far the best, but the cola and rootbeer are great too.

This has a section on homemade sodas. If you are at all interested in making mead or wine, this is the book to have. I have just about worn mine out.

51mW10kT%2BgL._SX326_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Thank you so much! I had no idea you could make sodas too, which really is what I am wanting to do I guess. I guess I never thought past those Sosa machines and their added gas. Will go check both those links out ta!

The ginger beer has 1/4 cup lemon juice and my punch has 1 tablespoon plus a cup of grapefruit juice. Wonder if that would stop browning too?

I would think so. It's the citric acid. I love grapefruit soda. It might be my favorite, but it is difficult to find. I think Fresca is all we have here, and it is not common to find anymore.

Back
Top Bottom