What are you canning now?

Harvested my 4x4 foot bean bed to make way for beets. Got 8 lbs of Romano beans, now in the freezer in eight 2-cup portions, AND 4.5 lbs of yellow wax beans which were pickled in either garlic dill or spicy (with a Thai Hot Pepper) making 8 pints. The big trend now is to use a pickled bean instead of celery in a Bloody Mary, so had a request from my New Orleans-savvy DIL to do some this way.

Made 23 pints of chili sauce and 6 more quarts of spicy tomato juice yesterday.
Today processed apples into 19 pints of applesauce.
Peach juice is dripping thru a cotton bag for peach jelly. This will be the last year for this particular tree. I'm going to cut it down. I'm thinking the graft never took on this peach tree I ordered several years ago. The peaches taste great but have been super small, are not freestone and not easy to peel. Too much work for a small return. The harvest was two gallons of golf ball sized peaches this year. So, I simply bleach them, clean up the fruit and boil them, mash them and strain the juice to can. Then I make jelly or jam adding peaches from another tree.
You could salvage the peach tree by cutting it back and graft or bud a better variety onto it . Lots of grafting videos on You Tube .

I am trying fermented dills this year for the first time so I just did one gallon. Anyone here ever tried making pickles this way?

I found my people! Sadly, I'm banned from canning, freezing, dehydrating, pickling or any other form of preservation untiL we move or find out we can't move. But, I can live vicariously through ya'll.

Wife came home from grocery shopping with Mrs. Wages spaghetti seasoning . So I picked more tomatoes mostly large cherry and we made a batch . Tastes good . So another use for the tomatoes .

Made 23 pints of chili sauce and 6 more quarts of spicy tomato juice yesterday.

Today processed apples into 19 pints of applesauce.

Peach juice is dripping thru a cotton bag for peach jelly. This will be the last year for this particular tree. I'm going to cut it down. I'm thinking the graft never took on this peach tree I ordered several years ago. The peaches taste great but have been super small, are not freestone and not easy to peel. Too much work for a small return. The harvest was two gallons of golf ball sized peaches this year. So, I simply bleach them, clean up the fruit and boil them, mash them and strain the juice to can. Then I make jelly or jam adding peaches from another tree.

You could salvage the peach tree by cutting it back and graft or bud a better variety onto it . Lots of grafting videos on You Tube .

I thought about that too. We have grafted apple and pecan. I have a great peach "dessert gold". My neighbor's have an old variety white peach too. May try theirs so the ripening periods are different.

Anyone do spaghetti sauce from scratch .? If so would you share recipe ? Interested in the spices used . The mix is good but would like to try one from scratch .

I've done Ozark sweet fermented in a jar and Dill in a crock. Really have to watch the crock method....things can go south pretty quick if not watched carefully.

I don't own a crock so only use gallon jars for kraut and now trying these dills. I thought a crock did the same thing. Just can't watch what is going on inside. I never tighten the lid on it.

Back
Top Bottom