What are you canning now?

Walmart has their jack-o-lanterns for $1 each ... picked up 5. We wanted to try out the root cellar anyway and the garden did not produce well this year. Chickens will enjoy the pumpkins this winter.

The house is redolent with the sweet smell of chicken stock...will be burning the midnight oil on this one to get everything cooked down. These hens had tons of good, deep yellow fat on them so will be able to skim me some fat to freeze. Killed 6 and had 2 more in the freezer from an earlier butchering, so deboned them all. Saved feet from other butchering and will be adding them to the stock tonight.

After it's all said and done, I'll cook all the bones again in the PC until crumbly, run them through the grinder, mix them with some of the cooked organs, whole wheat flour, egg, left over potato and broccoli soup for binding, garlic and ginger....will bake that mixture for dog, cat and chicken treats.

First batch done and seemed to take me forever for some reason. Don't know why...maybe just more processing time on the front end than normal.

Chicken, stock and schmaltz and tomorrow I'll grind the bones and organs to make some animal treats. Nothing much going to waste here.

I have two frozen home grown chickens that I would like to can. Both chickens were really close to going bad in the fridge so I froze them. (I butchered the chickens and they were not in the fridge for more than 3 days but due to fridge problems they started to smell a little bit weird so I decided to put them in the deep freeze basement freezer instead of the kitchen freezer).

Can anyone give me directions for canning (I have a pressure canner) some chickens from the frozen state?

Thanks so much for your help~

I have two frozen home grown chickens that I would like to can. Both chickens were really close to going bad in the fridge so I froze them. (I butchered the chickens and they were not in the fridge for more than 3 days but due to fridge problems they started to smell a little bit weird so I decided to put them in the deep freeze basement freezer instead of the kitchen freezer).

Can anyone give me directions for canning (I have a pressure canner) some chickens from the frozen state?

Thanks so much for your help~

It depends on if you want to can them bone in or boneless, but you can thaw them, raw pack them in the jar~before or after removing the bones...I'd suggest only canning the breasts, legs and thighs in the jar as the rest of the carcass has small bones that turn to mush during the canning process, rendering them very difficult to separate from the meat later on. You can boil down the backs, necks, feet, and any other bones you've removed, along with any organs you've retained and make into a stock that you can can as well.

Raw pack meat, add tsp of salt for pts. and T. for qts., you can add some water or not, your choice, as they will make their own juice. PC qts. for 90 min. on 10 or 15 psi, depending upon your altitude. 75 min. for pts.

It depends on if you want to can them bone in or boneless, but you can thaw them, raw pack them in the jar~before or after removing the bones...I'd suggest only canning the breasts, legs and thighs in the jar as the rest of the carcass has small bones that turn to mush during the canning process, rendering them very difficult to separate from the meat later on. You can boil down the backs, necks, feet, and any other bones you've removed, along with any organs you've retained and make into a stock that you can can as well.

Raw pack meat, add tsp of salt for pts. and T. for qts., you can add some water or not, your choice, as they will make their own juice. PC qts. for 90 min. on 10 or 15 psi, depending upon your altitude. 75 min. for pts.
Thank you so much!

Maeschak, don't forget to vent your canner for ten minutes before pressurizing it and starting the timer. When the proper time elapses, turn heat off or carefully remove canner from it. Then let the canner depressurize by itself (leave the weight on) until the small pop-up handle-lock (if your canner has one) drops down.

A link from the National Center for Home Food Preservation: http://nchfp.uga.edu/how/can_05/chicken_rabbit.html

Best wishes,
Ed

Back
Top Bottom