What are you canning now?

I just canned up those 'bad boy' cockerels I had in the freezer and they came out great. The meat is tender and good. I tried one jar in a mess of chicken and dumplings for a test on the family and they all claimed that was the best I'd ever cooked. It is much better tasting than cooking it for long hours in the crockpot.

I'm so far behind with Canning it's insane:/
I have carrots to do plus wanted to can a couple meals (soups and something else). Believe this yr I wanted to try Canning meat finally.

Meat isn't hard at all just follow recommended guidelines. I watch Linda's Pantry canning videos on You Tube. She goes through it step by step. Lots of great ideas. I'm planning on canning some ground meat and soup soon. I'm short on jars right now. The next time I go to Sam's I'm going to get a lot of beans so I can can a few jars of them for quick meals. So far I've made meat patties. I'm on the fence about them but the family loved them, chicken breast chunks, chicken thighs with the bone all in chicken broth.

Hello all-

I am going to try canning some cockerels as soon as the weather permits butchering and I have a few questions:

1. Is it best to let the boys rest in the fridge for 3 days before canning or does it matter because it will be pressure cooked?
2. Do I raw pack it tight or loose?
3. How much head space does the can need? (I will not be adding any liquid).
4. Can you make schmaltz out of the skin? Trying to decide whether it is worth the trouble to scald and pluck the boys so I can make something with the skin or just to skin them.

Thanks so much~

Hello all-

I am going to try canning some cockerels as soon as the weather permits butchering and I have a few questions:

1. Is it best to let the boys rest in the fridge for 3 days before canning or does it matter because it will be pressure cooked?
2. Do I raw pack it tight or loose?
3. How much head space does the can need? (I will not be adding any liquid).
4. Can you make schmaltz out of the skin? Trying to decide whether it is worth the trouble to scald and pluck the boys so I can make something with the skin or just to skin them.

Thanks so much~

Sorry I can't give you any advice.
When I canned chicken, it was boneless skinless and I canned it in chicken stock. It was fantastic, and I hope to be able to can a bunch this summer. I plan to skin them, then can the dark meat on-the-bone in quart jars with chicken stock. We like white meat for so many things, but DH won't eat a drumstick.

Sorry I can't give you any advice.
When I canned chicken, it was boneless skinless and I canned it in chicken stock. It was fantastic, and I hope to be able to can a bunch this summer. I plan to skin them, then can the dark meat on-the-bone in quart jars with chicken stock. We like white meat for so many things, but DH won't eat a drumstick.
Interesting, what do you do with canned drumsticks on the bone? (Like, how do you use them- just pull the meat off the bone and use as if it was deboned when canned? I am up for any time-savers!)

Yes, my plan is to pick the meat off the bones when I go to use it. Getting meat off drumstick is a PITA, so hopefully it will be easiser when canned. I haven't tried it yet, so that is a big hope that it works.
With the boneless skinless breast meat, I put 1 pound of meat per pint jar. Great to have it premeasured for recipes like that.
Hoping that the quart of legs and thighs with bone in will give me a pound of clean meat and some really good chicken broth. We only use dark meat for chicken taco, soups and stews; so having a nice broth with the meat will be a plus.

My sister cans venison without any liquid, so canning chicken without liquid should work alright.

Back
Top Bottom