What are you canning now?

Calling all canners! (Had to, sorry...)

I have 14 plum trees over growing with plums that are almost ripe. Last year we couldn't eat them fast enough, even with the horses help... I'm hoping to make som jams/jellies this year out of them.

I know I boil, mas, add sugar... But in what order and how? Last year my grandmother helped me make some but they all ended up fermenting be. cause I added too much sugar. Not that I'm complaining, I just didn't know ahha.

MissRed, go and buy a box of Surejel pectin. If you like your jelly really sweet, buy the yellow box, less sweet buy the pink box. Then follow the easy, step by step directions. Generally you crush your fruit first, add your pectin, and bring to a full rolling boil. THEN add sugar, and bring back to a boil for 1-3 minutes, but, it varies according to which pectin you use.

SUCCESS!!! this 3 day weekend I successfully reproduced my late Aunt Sue's recipe for Old South Lime pickles, using the Mrs. Wage's lime and pickling spice. It was very labor intensive but well worth it -- have 7 quarts of beautiful pickles! I know Aunt Sue was with me in spirit, looking over my shoulder. I soaked them in the very same crock that goes back several generations on my Mother's side of the family -- it is well over 100 years old. That just made it all the more special!
Now next weekend to do my standard kosher dill! I love summer & putting stuff up!

btw, I always just blanch & freeze my extra beans & corn too.

and Surejell is all I use for jellies & jams; easy-peasy, just follow the directions on the box!

This long weekend I managed to get 5 pounds of Kidney beans done. The Mulberry tree will be ready this weekend for sure, if not sooner. Need to get jelly made before birds and critters polish all of them off. The Cedar Wax Wings have been really having a feast!

As a side note - a bit concerned since there has been a Raccoon in the tree eating berries, which right next to the outside chicken runs. My husband has not finished the top of the run for our new hens and we are having to watch them every minute since the little bugger was up there before sun down. My husband is working on the top today.

Sandee

Quote:
Pineapple Jam

4 cups crushed pineapple
6 cups sugar
1 pkg powdered pectin

I use fresh pineapple, crushed in the food processor. You can also use canned pineapple, takes about a 2 lb can.

Combine pineapple and pectin. Bring to full boil over high heat. Add sugar. Bring to full rolling boil for 1 minute. Fill and cap jars. Process in boiling water bath for 10 mintues.

We're off to pick another 80 lbs of cherries this morning - for farmers market sales. When we get back I have blackberries thawed to make jam.

And
woot.gif
I just ordered a Back to Basics Steam Juicer this morning! Can't wait to use it this season - no more jelly bags and straining for me!

Then we're taking the evening off. It's our anniversary. We're going out to dinner.

I'm waiting for the mulberries to come into season. Not much longer. I only have one mature mulberry tree in my backyard, but there are TONS of wild ones nearby, so we'll be going berry picking as soon as they're ripe enough. I want to try my hand at mulberry preserves this year. Anyone have a really good recipe?

Quote:
Pineapple Jam

4 cups crushed pineapple
6 cups sugar
1 pkg powdered pectin

I use fresh pineapple, crushed in the food processor. You can also use canned pineapple, takes about a 2 lb can.

Combine pineapple and pectin. Bring to full boil over high heat. Add sugar. Bring to full rolling boil for 1 minute. Fill and cap jars. Process in boiling water bath for 10 mintues.

We're off to pick another 80 lbs of cherries this morning - for farmers market sales. When we get back I have blackberries thawed to make jam.

And
woot.gif
I just ordered a Back to Basics Steam Juicer this morning! Can't wait to use it this season - no more jelly bags and straining for me!

Then we're taking the evening off. It's our anniversary. We're going out to dinner.

love.gif
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY KIM have a great night out
love.gif

Quote:
That sounds interesting! could you please post the recipe?

Miss Prissy, that is a FANTASTIC find!! Way to go!!!

edit to add: doing dill pickles this weekend! If anybody is looking for a prolific pickler, I highly recommend Eurekas!

Last edited:
Harvested our first round of Mulberries yesterday and put them through the Squeeze-O last night and yielded 2 gallons of juice. Guess what I'm doing this weekend?

Going to try making Mulberry Pancake/Waffle syrup from my new canning book that I got from the University of Georgia. Also, going to start selling some of the juice to other home canners who do not have access to their own Mulberry trees.

Happy Canning everyone!

Sandee

Back
Top Bottom