What are you canning now?

I took my kids out to Fredericksburg (Texas hill country famous for peaches) and we picked a quarter bushell. I made a great cobbler using Paula Dean's cobbler recipe posted on Food Network (I have seen the same one lots of other places too) and then decided I should can some of the peaches in quantities that would work to make a quick cobbler later when the peaches are no longer in season. Not sure why but only two jars sealed - I processed them all the same, wiped all the rims, jars and filling were hot, could the band have been on too tight to let the vaccuum form? I'm a relatively new canner so I'm open to ideas of what could have gone wrong. Either way it is only one jar so I will just put it in the fridge and make another cobbler in a week or so
smile.png

Here are the canned peaches -
50211_dsc_0802.jpg

Yesterday, I made a batch of Blueberry Jam and one of Hot Pepper Jelly - 7 jars of each.

BoerneChickens - Your peaches look beautiful! The one unsealed jar may have been headspace issue that allowed a bit of fruit to cook up between the rim/lid and prevent a seal. I have to get working on peaches soon. We have a couple pints left from last year. It's only DH & I here, but that'll never be enough.
wink.png

Quote:
Very pretty - Don't you just love the colors of all your canned items.

On the sealing issue - did you check your head space carefully. We have had problems with our berries running over. I read up on why and what to do and here are two links that may help.

http://www.lehmans.com/store/faq/94?Args=

http://www.lehmans.com/store/faq/95?Args=

There is also some good information in the FAQ section on other subjects.

Sandee

Quote:
Thanks Sandee! I think it must have been headspace - I really stuffed the jars full - trying to make sure each one contained as close to four cupps of sliced peaches as I could. Must have stuffed that last one a little too much
smile.png

I have a few more peaches to get canned. Does anyone have some good Peach jam or buter recipes you can share?

Quote:
So beautiful - you did an excellent job and I love that it is like a painted picture with all the wonderful colors. You must be proud everytime you walk in there.

Wish I had a space like that. We have a closet but you can't see everything and keep track of what has been used up or needs to be used. Again, great job.
clap.gif

Sandee

Quote:
WOW I am envious!

I just started canning two weeks ago. I made bread and butter pickles, salsa and just yesterday I made cherry jam. I can't wait to can some more. I want to do taco and spaghetti sauce. Maybe some apples and peaches.

Back
Top Bottom