What are you canning now?

You are lucky, I have tried the farmers market and grocery and have found nothing, I check every week.
I still have 30 pounds of peaches to can and beans and pickles UGHHH I hate canning in 100* plus weather! I really need to get started this morning
big_smile.png

I need a bit of guidance from you experienced and not so experienced canners. I want to can tomatoes. I have been looking online and am a little overwhelmed with the number of recipes. I see recipes for canning whole tomatoes, halves, and quarters. I see recipes for canning in their own juice and for canning in water. I see diced tomatoes and spiced tomatoes. My problem is that I don't know what method to use.

I will be using the tomatoes I can in a few different ways. Some will be used in chili and vegetable soup. I would also like to try canning spaghetti/pasta sauce. I wouldn't mind trying some mild salsa, my partner hates spicy food, so it has to be mild. Any advice on what recipes or methods would best serve me? Thanks in advance!

It is easy. DON'T be afraid of failure, because when tomatoes go bad (in the jar), they smell REALLY bad, so you won't eat them.
#1 Get a simple canner--looks like a pot with a lid and jar dividers.
#2 Harvest tomatoes
#3 Boil water. Put tomatoes in for about 30 seconds (at a hard boil). Use a slotted spoon to remove. IF the skin doesn't remove easily, redip them.
#4 Remove skin and ladle WHOLE tomatoes into jars leaving 1/2" space below the top of the jar. They will spill their juice into the jar. You do NOT need to add any liquid. Use a wooden spoon to press tomatoes and remove bubbles.
#5 Wipe top and sides of top (where the lid and the screw top goes) so that you don't have any fruit juice exposed that might rot)
**keep another pot of water boiling, so that you can soften the rubber on the lids--some say one minute, other say 5--I have never softened my lids, but my tomatoes stayed good in the jar for even 5 years after canning
#6 Boil water in canner. It takes tomatoes about 25-35 minutes--purists will argue the time#. Either--
(a) Put jars with HOT fruit into HOT water
or
(b) Put jars with cold fruit into COLD water, then begin to boil.
#7 Remove and let cool. DON'T put hot jars on a cold surface--they'll crack!!! I put mine either on the stove top OR on my big wooden cutting boards. Press down on the lids, and reboil IMMEDIATELY if it isn't a tight seal. Usually you start hearing them pop.
#8 Let cool overnight.
#9 Label product and date on the LID with a sharpie.
Tomatoes are THE EASIEST fruit to "can" (don't know WHY they call it canning, when we use glass jars)
They have high acid content, so they are less likely to go bad in the jars. Been canning tomatoes for YEARS, now!
big_smile.png

Here are the tools that your need (these sites have advice, so read them):
http://www.preservefood.com/canning/howto.shtml
http://www.mayflowertrading.com/images/utensils.jpg
http://www.preservefood.com/gifs/canning/canningjar.gif
http://images.meredith.com/bhg/images/02/p_BKS033759.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
I'm new too. The first thing I made was salsa. I don't have the recipe on hand but I can tell you if you don't want it hot and spicy, don't let any of the pepper seeds get in there. I didn't put in any of the seeds and it was kid friendly.

Canning has been coming along nicely. I think I've got a new hobby.

Today I canned 5 quarts of pickles (a first for me) I had some extra juice so I canned a half qt of beans. I've never had them but I didn't want to waste any juice. After that I did 2qts of green beans.

I've got a bag full of tomatoes that I'm going to make salsa with. My last batch wasn't hot enough. It's a learning experience.

I've got a basket of black berries and I want to make some jam. My first try at jam was over the weekend when I made 13 jars of cherry jam. It turned out delicious so I can not wait to do some more. I've got several plumbs so if I've got some jars left over I might make some out of that.

I'm curious about the corn relish. What exactly is that? I've got some corn to do something with and I'd rather make something than just corn.

I'd like to make some spaghetti sauce. Must find more tomatoes first
big_smile.png

I have canned jellies and pickles but had my first experience with salsa last night and it was a disaster!! I don't like chunky salsa, but smooth. So I pureed te tomatoes and onions. I added the other ingredients and this morning is still smells like straight tomatoes and is very, very runny. Any ideas on saving this batch or is it doomed??

I ended up NOT canning it becaus it was so runny and felt as if I was wasting my time and would just be running up the electric bill waiting for the AC to catch up with the steam from my canner. So, that said, should I add more of everything except tomatoes and is there any way to make it thicker?? I also left out the vinegar some recipes call for and was going to add lime juice to the jars if I canned it but since it didn't get canned, it didn't get the lime juice either. Should I go ahead and add that now?

Quote:
I have that trouble when I make pico sometimes. One idea that might work would be to pour it through a wire strainer or some cheese cloth to strain out most of the juice and then add back in enough of the liquid to make the the consistency you want?

Quote:
I have that trouble when I make pico sometimes. One idea that might work would be to pour it through a wire strainer or some cheese cloth to strain out most of the juice and then add back in enough of the liquid to make the the consistency you want?

Hmmm. I will try that tonight. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom