What are you canning now?

Quote:
Congrats on the new canner, I got my own this summer too! I had been canning with my mom for a long time and decided to go it solo. Got it mastered now my next project is canned venison stew.

Thanks! It very addicting
smile.png
I have been making everything from scratch for my family for the past few years, bread and cheese included! I am just tickled to have this new handy thing to make up a ton at a time and store it away. mmmm venison stew sounds amazing! One I get through all this produce I'm definately going to try some soups and stews
smile.png

Quote:
Congrats on the new canner, I got my own this summer too! I had been canning with my mom for a long time and decided to go it solo. Got it mastered now my next project is canned venison stew.

Quote:

The recipe sounds super easy too. Mostly filling the jar with 1 inch pieces and lightly pressing it down,put on lids and process at 10lbs. for 90 mins.
The 90 minutes is the only part that I dread.

eeeek yea that sounds dreadfull! I am 6 1/2 months pregnant and standing there making sure my pressure doesn't get out of control just kills me =/ But to see all the yummy healthy food stored away maiking it easier for me in the longrun makes it worth it
smile.png

Quote:

The recipe sounds super easy too. Mostly filling the jar with 1 inch pieces and lightly pressing it down,put on lids and process at 10lbs. for 90 mins.

Quote:

What kind of canners do you have? I have a 23quart Presto with the dial gauge but I bought the conversion rocker weight so that I can just listen to it. As long as it's rattling away, I have at least 10 pounds pressure. Life is so much easier that way.

ETA: I have beef stock cooking. I'll can it tomorrow. Have to clear out the freezer a bit for space for the side of beef I bought.

Last edited:
Quote:

What kind of canners do you have? I have a 23quart Presto with the dial gauge but I bought the conversion rocker weight so that I can just listen to it. As long as it's rattling away, I have at least 10 pounds pressure. Life is so much easier that way.

ETA: I have beef stock cooking. I'll can it tomorrow. Have to clear out the freezer a bit for space for the side of beef I bought.

I bought the weight gauge for my all american canner, but realized I had the older version and it didn't come with the correct vent pipe for the weight to work. So I have to stand there and watch mine too. ARGH!

Going to break and buy that $6 vent pipe eventually! hahaha

Funny about the weight gauge thing...I HATE mine and just got a dial gauge canner! I could never get the wight to jiggle at the recommended amount per minute. Are you all saying that as long as it is jiggling the pressure is ok? THat does sound easier...maybe I will bring it back up and give them both a try...cause today I am making salsa, tomatoes, and stewed tomatoes...really want to give a try at the pear/vanilla butter previously mentioned too...the days I am off of work are just too short! TErri O

I have the type with the gauge. This new one recommends 11 lbs. of pressure for everything almost. I kinda wish I would of looked into the jingle type but I had never used one so I got the gauged one.I was thinking my OCD would kick in if I didn't actually see the hand on 10lbs, now i wonder if the jingle type would not have been easier because you can hear it.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom