What are you canning now?

Isn't that like peanut butter but with sunflower seeds? How do you shell the seeds? I've always wanted to use my sunflower seeds but can never get past the shelling. Too much work.

wow whats sun butter never heard of it???

Isn't that like peanut butter but with sunflower seeds? How do you shell the seeds? I've always wanted to use my sunflower seeds but can never get past the shelling. Too much work.
Yes it is peanut butter but with sunflower seeds. The best part of it is at my youngest school she isn't allowed to bring a peanut butter sandwich for lunch because a kid in her class was allergic to peanuts, with sun butter there is no problem, and my kids LOVE the sun butter.
ladyrsanti, to shell them i put the seeds into a bag and smash them with a rubber mallet (don't pulverize them just break them up a bit) then dump the bag into a bowl of cold water and stir. The empty hulls will rise to the top, just scoop them out and continue until you have just seeds left. Makes it quick and easy!! And definitely worth the time

To freeze peaches, I dip in boiling water and peel them. Then I cut them into slices, and dip them in some lime jiuce and water to keep them from turning brown. Then I sprinkle them with sugar and vacumn seal them in 4 cup packages. Into the freezer they go until I want to use them.

As for freezing whole, I don't know if you would be able to peel them without ending up with mush after they had been frozen. Same with removing the pit. When I thaw mine to use, they have a firmer texture than canned peaches, but not like a fresh peach. Also, I would worry about the pit being in them when freezing, but I don't know why it would bother me to have it in there though.
idunno.gif

You could probably can them after freezing if you were to peel, pit, and slice them before freezing. They would be great for peach preserves that way. Canned sliced peaches may not work so good after freezing.

OK, I did my homework.

Peach pits are poisonous. That is why I wouldn't freeze the peaches with them in it.

Also, if you were to just halve them and remove the pit, them freeze them with the skin on, you may be able to pull the skin off them when they are slightly defrosted. That I am not sure of though. It worked on half of my apricots when I froze them.

I ended up just doing a couple of quarts each of diced and sauce with the yellow tomatoes

Maybe next batch I can figure out something different

I canned my neighbor's tomatoes (they were out of town), also some cucumber relish and salsa from my own tomatoes - the last two days. There are a TON more tomatoes out there though, which will probably all split after the 2" of rain we got today. They are already weighing in at 1lb. each, average. I can't imagine they can take in more water weight.

To freeze peaches, I dip in boiling water and peel them.  Then I cut them into slices, and dip them in some lime jiuce and water to keep them from turning brown.  Then I sprinkle them with sugar and vacumn seal them in 4 cup packages.  Into the freezer they go until I want to use them.

As for freezing whole, I don't know if you would be able to peel them without ending up with mush after they had been frozen.  Same with removing the pit.  When I thaw mine to use, they have a firmer texture than canned peaches, but not like a fresh peach.   Also, I would worry about the pit being in them when freezing, but I don't know why it would bother me to have it in there though.  :idunno

You could probably can them after freezing if you were to peel, pit, and slice them before freezing.  They would be great for peach preserves that way.  Canned sliced peaches may not work so good after freezing.

Thats exactly what I did...phew glad to know someone else did it!

Back
Top Bottom