What are you canning now?

Oh no! I think I might have done a boo boo

I did up some awesome Beef Stew today.

I did a raw pack, in the pressure canner.

I did corn/green beans from frozen and fresh potatos/onion/carrot....and mushrooms. No liquid added, just a touch of salt.

Here's where I think maybe I did a boo boo..I cant find anywhere where it's safe to can mushrooms so now I am hoping I didnt contaminate my stew with them.

We did pop 2 jars for dinner tonight and it was really super good and yummy. Everything was cooked just like you would think.

I extra washed the mushrooms, and took off all little brown spots. They were nice and clean ..what do you all think?

Oh no! I think I might have done a boo boo

I did up some awesome Beef Stew today.

I did a raw pack, in the pressure canner.

I did corn/green beans from frozen and fresh potatos/onion/carrot....and mushrooms. No liquid added, just a touch of salt.

Here's where I think maybe I did a boo boo..I cant find anywhere where it's safe to can mushrooms so now I am hoping I didnt contaminate my stew with them.

We did pop 2 jars for dinner tonight and it was really super good and yummy. Everything was cooked just like you would think.

I extra washed the mushrooms, and took off all little brown spots. They were nice and clean ..what do you all think?

I think you're okay, found this:

http://pickyourown.org/mushrooms_canning.php

here is the recipe I use for pumpkin butter

6 quarts pumpkin puree (I use home grown/made)
2 Tbs ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp all spice
2 c Brown sugar
2 c White sugar
1/2 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in crock pot. cook on low for 18-24 hrs depending on thickness desired and strength of crock pot. Occasionally stir with silicone or rubber spatula to make sure no burning is happening. Leave cover of crock slightly open to allow steam to escape and butter to thicken.

NOTE USDA NO LONGER RECOMMENDS CANNING ANY PUMPKIN OR SQUASH PUREE, ONLY CUBED, HOWEVER IT CAN BE FROZEN FOR UP TO ABOUT 6 MONTHS OR REFRIGERATED FOR ABOUT 3 MONTHS

I did pressure can mine @ 10lbs for 90 mins for pint jars and then still put them in the fridge. Hope you enjoy

There is a similar recipe on pickyourown.org, but i believe they use only white sugar and more pumpkin puree and no salt. I think adding salt to these type of recipes really makes the flavor pop.

Puffy, you should be just fine. I did up about 8 pints of mushrooms this year in the pressure canner, per pickyour own.org. I've found it to be an excellent resource!

Thanks CK...That sounds really yummy. I put at least a pinch of salt in everything...more in veggies and meat but a little even in fruits...it keeps the flavor from being "flat" imo :)

Recently put up,
8 pints beef w/mushrooms
8 pints of Pork Loin
8 pints chicken breast
12 pints beef stew (OMG this is a heavenly one!)
8 pints corned beef
made 12 jars (half pints I think, little jelly jars full of lovely nummyness) of cranberry sauce/jelly that is out of this world! (fresh cranberrys are to DIE for! LOL)
I will NEVER eat store bought canned crap again! I will be the weird-O buying the 20 bags of cranberries when they finally go on sale after Thanksgiving.
Turkey will start to be my next experiment for canning as we are getting on time for the turkey sales.

I figured out what was wrong with my first batch of chicken breast other than being over cooked for a good hour atleast ..LOL (beginner nerves eh?)

SALT. Plain old simple easy does it ..dont add a buncha stuff ...just salt. No garlic, no onion..just a bit of salt depending on your jar size ( I like pint size) and I used a half teaspoon in each jar just tossed right on top and left to its own devices ..It was AWESOME!
Turned out super tasty, really tender, juicy, and just the right amount of flakiness.

Oh I ment to ask you ...all you long term storage canners ..

I saw a horrible video on Youtube about something in some jars that went bad and they were opening/ "popping" the jars(to open them),
that looked just like normal to me yet the food inside just came bubbling and oozing out.

What causes that???!!!

Oh I ment to ask you ...all you long term storage canners ..

I saw a horrible video on Youtube about something in some jars that went bad and they were opening/ "popping" the jars(to open them),
that looked just like normal to me yet the food inside just came bubbling and oozing out.

What causes that???!!!
That is what happens sometimes when the food spoils. The micro-organisms produce gas while decomposing what is in the jar. When you open the jar and release the pressure, the escaping gas causes the food the bubble out of the jar.
That is why it is so important to have the kitchen clean and the jars sterilized when home canning. And always process for the correct amount of time. I have resigned myself to slightly mushy peaches and pears because at my altitude, I have to cook them longer to make sure that all the nasties are dead.

Put up 88 jars of jam yesterday.
tongue.png

Strawberry, blackberry, blueberry and triple berry...yummo!
big_smile.png

Wow, you were busy!

Back
Top Bottom