What are you canning now?

Pics
I've spent all day canning pickles, pickle relish, salsa, tomatoes, and green beans. Tomorrow, it's more green beans and corn. And Friday, it's spaghetti sauce. Is it possible to can squash? That stuff is running out my ears! I can't give enough of it away!

I have a question about my corn cob jelly. I got the recipe off of this site. Mine is really runny. I followed the directions. I just made it today. I was wondering if it would thicken up. It is cooled down already. I am not sure where I went wrong.

We're new to canning. We've done pickles (lactic fermentation as well as brine and bath), tomato sauce and peaches. Next week, more pickles, pears and whatever else we can find recipes for.
Thanks for the pickyourown website - any other suggestions for great recipes?

So far this year we've put by:
balsamic strawberry sauce
mulberry jam
tomato paste
diced tomatoes
pickled carrots
apple pie filling
mushroom ketchup
lemon honey ginger elixir

Still in the pantry from last year or way earlier this spring:
applesauce
apple butter
raspberry jam
mint jelly
rosemary lemon-balm jelly
ramp jelly
cranberry jam
sweet corn
tomato sauce
roasted tomato garlic soup
carrot ginger soup
vegetable soup
chicken stock
turkey stock
bread and butter pickles
dill bread and butter pickles

Last edited:
Made pickled crab apples today....Our tomatoes are still green, so are most of our hot peppers. Am going to make applesauce. When deer season comes we will be trying our hand at canning venison. Maybe rabbit also.

Last edited:
I picked a 1/2 flat of blackberries yesterday and made 4.5 pints of jam last night (I seeded the jam so it didn't go as far as a result). I tried a "natural pectin" recipe, which called for apples instead of pectin. It took a bit longer but turned out just great. I was COVERED in blackberry splorts by the time I was done.

Today it's chicken stock, roasted red peppers, and roasted red pepper spread. Hard to pay $4/jar (for roasted red peppers) when you can make 6-8 jars for $5.

It's also time to start working on my sweet pickles. They've been in the brine for a week and it's time to start their daily bath for the next week. That'll teach me to read the @#)$* recipe before I start next time. I need to babysit those stupid pickles for the next WEEK!

Guess I should also weed the front garden. It's a terrible eyesore and the neighbors will be happier once I get that done. There's just not enough time in the day!

Last edited:
Got my roasted pepper pickles all canned up this morning. Those things took waaaaay longer than I had expected. I'm done canning for today.

Off to make some bread & weed the front yard. I've been neglecting the front for a reason only BYCers would understand: I can't take the chickens out front with me.
big_smile.png

12261_028.jpg

I have wanted to start canning for the last couple of years but since I didn't know anyone who does it I was pretty intimidated. This year I decided to get some recipes and go for it on my own. So far I have made peach jam, blackberry jam, hot pepper jelly, marinara sauce, pickled peppers and bruschetta in a jar. I will have to try everything before I give anything away to anyone but family but so far the jams and jelly have been a hit! My family also thinks I am crazy (getting chickens this year and starting to can) but they love the benefits of a pie making, canning, chicken raising (we haven't got eggs yet but they are eagerly anticipating) daughter/sister!
lau.gif

Last weekend we did 7 pints and 4 quarts of green beans. This weekend will be about the same. Last batch of green beans for me. I am also gonna make some yellow pear tomato preserves. Got a really easy recipe out of my Countryside magazine. It has alot of good easy canning recipes in it for different tomatoes.

Happy canning everyone
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom